All three companies had contracts with the army, although the �plain jane� Offiziers�bel f�r Unteroffizier mit Portepee is what is almost always seen versus a prize sword. And I like Dales�s point of view that if what you have is good you shouldn�t worry about posting it. If an item is marginal or has problems then I can see a problem for sellers. But not for buyers. Who need to know ahead of time if they are using their money wisely.

And I think that this thread proves the point. If I was to venture onto some of Houston�s collecting home turf I would seek his advice because hunting pieces (for example) are not my forte. But I would imagine that if he were to venture into some of the areas where I collect he is not going to have the same in depth knowledge.

My point being that if either of us were to ask questions about an area where we lack expertise it is not destroying the hobby. It is building it. Because there are hundreds of readers at all levels looking at this thread. And if they find something like this sword they are going to know what to do. Because they have seen a good example and know exactly what it looks like. FP