It seams as if I have stirred up a hornets nest. I would love to post some pictures, but it will have to wait until I can get my daughters camera, and then learn how to post a picture. I may wind up having to email the pictures to someone. I have never had this dagger apart, but I filed a spanner screwdriver and took the grip apart (as this is my only hewer, is it normal for it to have bolts with spanner nuts like a S84/98?). Here are some observations (to be honest, I never really looked at the dagger this closely, never had it apart, and did not realize it was different when I bought it - I wanted that paratroop helmet):

1)Overall fit: blade to hilt, grips to hilt, hilt squareness to scabbard throat, scabbard fittings to scabbard body - all excellent.
2)Overall finish: Hilt (magnetic) casting and casting lines very good, nickel plating, except for worn spot, smooth and good quality.
3) Scabbard fittings appear to be solid nickel, stamped designs are crisp and fine.
4) RADJ triangle and GES. GESCH. on motto side (reverse)is etched, as is the motto.
5) Makers mark on obverse (imperial crown, fancy "X" shaped K, and Solingen is stamped, with Solingen curved like a rocker, near the hilt.
6) Only about 2/3 of tang is visible, and it has a 6mm number 10 forge mark.
7) Mid hilt strap, which has 1 of 2 blade attachment rivets, is stamped with a 3mm assembly number 5, which is also marked in black pencil on each grip.
8) No hilt washer.
9) This is only an opinion, but the dagger just feels good, when you insert the dagger into the scabbard, it literally leaps in with a clicking snap, like a door closing. Naturally, I am partial, but the more I look at it, the more I like it - but this has nothing to do with the basic question of authenticity.

Also, having never seen one in a picture doesn't hold much water as they look the same as any other hewer when in the scabbard.

Hey, while I have everyones attention, has anyone ever seen a Luftwaffe type portepee with an overlay on the ball portion. It is almost like a sock with a hidden drawstring at the bottom, but made of strands of 2 gold and 1 pinkish red twisted vertical cords. The cords are attached/glued where the top spiral ends, and can be easilly separated to see the normal silver ball under it.

I will make every effort to get some pictures in, but it may take a while. Dan