quote:
Originally posted by jim m:
I am in the process of re-blueing an old Remington Model 121 Fieldmaster. This IMO is one of the finest pump 22 cal rifles ever made. While this 60 year old gun is in sound shooting condition the remaining finish consists of faded blueing and rust. Obviously the previous owner(s) neglected it.
I suppose I could have just left it looking like a piece of crap and if it was just slightly worn instead of showing "honest wear" that's exactly what I'd do. However it's well past that point. Cars of historical value are restored all the time and this usually increases their value as well as preserving a piece of history.
Jim
Actually, I think we are in complete agreement. Rust is not patina. Active rust, of course, must be stopped. If the rust is inactive, then it would depend on the rarity of the item. If it was a rifle belonging to Thomas Jefferson, I would say leave it alone.

If I had this dagger before Ailsby had gotten ahold of it, I would have definitely left it alone except for a coat of Renwax.