quote:
Originally posted by jim m:
Dave:
The New York Antiques Show to cite one that is vetted is comprehensive and contains untold thousands of antiques of all sorts not just furniture. If I gave you that impression its just furniture it's the wrong one. BTW: Among the hardest items to vet at an antiques show is furniture because items are usually composed of multiple pieces any and/or all of which could be replacements.
Yet it is done. The point being if dealers know this will be done they are far less inclined to display questionable items.
Would vetting be done at local militaria shows? That's about as likely as vetting a local antiques show. Anyone attending one of these knows items are sold as is where is. Vetting would only be practical as a large international show such as the MAX and would IMO be a positive step to restore some of the lost luster.
Criticism of the merchandise at even these shows is incessant and pretty universal. Unless the promotors do something I question their long term survival.
To answer your questions: Who would do it? I don't think it would be all that difficult to put together a vetting comittee of experienced collectors. What dealers? This would be entirely voluntary on the dealers part but a requirement to exhibit in the vetted area.
It would be interesting to hear what some of the dealers thoughts are on this.
Jim

Actually items are vetted at shows its just most beginers don't know who to carry it to at the show. Even then (as in online forums) many would just refuse to listen.
If all the fake items were removed at the shows the Max or SOS for example would be about 1/4 their current size. Then the casual collector, history buff or your average Sat. and Sun. walk-in outside a 150 miles wouldn't bother.