Frogprince:
So the determing factor in color change is not sunlight, heat or where it's stored, it is just time. If that is the case why are there still white Trolon grips? Are they made of better grade Trolon? If it's not sunlight why would the grips be lighter under the knot?
To dismiss the SMF catalog drawing out of hand reminds me of Global Warming, "The debate is over". Why is it over? Because we say so. I find it amazing that the artist doing the catalog would choose the same colors some of these grips turned. He must have been related to Kreskin.
Many of these daggers were produced early in the TR period. Wartime shortages and lack of skilled workers would not have been a problem. I worked for Hoescht for several years. I saw how the attention to detail increased as the level of authority increased. I still can't believe that the subordinates to a General would not have noticed the color change in his 2nd Model sword grip. The big boys I knew would have switched that out immediatly, Even if they had to have a box of them standing by.
I wonder if when Atwood found the boxes of different colored grips were they yellow, white or orange in separate boxes? Or where they mixed? That could tell you something.
Brian Rich