quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy:
As I noted above, Jim's dagger appears original in all respects to my eye, but has gone through some "spiffing up." No big deal. A Himmler with a bit of restoration work is not an abomination in my philosophy, although others will disagree. The sale price is something to be worked out between the seller and the buyer, as in many transactions. That photos were posted without Jim's knowledge and consent after he specificallly asked that such not be done, is not a good thing.

Thanks Grumpy:
There's an old quote attributred to Henry Ford.
"Never explain: You're friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway".
Well here I go explaining again:
Attached is the only original picture I can find. It is shown with other daggers from the same collector of which two are older repo honor daggers.From left to right you have the Himmler honor dagger complete with the RZM hanger which was attached to it and still is,a repo honor dagger, a Model 33 transitional and another repo in the box. This picture was taken of a small part of a fairly large the collection as we unpacked it in my foyer many years ago and you are looking at a picture of a picture as this was before my digital camera days.
Again; The collection, some good some bad, was assembled in Germany in the 60s by an American officer. He lost interest and everything was boxed up in trunks in an unheated garage until I bought it.
The Himmler SS dagger had a bad crack in the grip,which I have previously disclosed, and I sent it out to be professionally repaired. The dagger was also quite grungy,NOT patina but dirt, and I did clean the surface at that time. If ANYTHING else was done to the dagger at that time it was done without my knowledge.
The more I look at the scabbard the more I'm beginning to think it was relacquered(NOT Re-anodized as I remember the anodizing was about 100%). However I don't know if this was done before I got the dagger or by the grip restorer.
As an aside: I appreciate the comments I've received privately about the "grilling " I'm getting here but as,I have nothing to hide, I really don't mind other than the time it takes to respond.
And,for those who like ugly, please note the middle belt buckle below the daggers.
Jim

newhimm.jpg (53.63 KB, 435 downloads)