Joe, I�ll have to see if I can find the thread to be absolutely 100 % sure, but my recollection is that it was aluminum. I think that I used your (?) �Die Woche� image for at least one of the postings, as well as one posted by someone else that was not as clear. Here (minus the �Die Woche� image) is part of what I posted using the aluminum crossguard as a visual reference.

I understand what you are saying about Tom Johnson, and he has some things in some of the books that would not stand up to close inspection today. I�m not slamming him, just making the observation that sometimes mistakes are made, and I�ve made my share at one time or another. And a lack of documentation for some things has been something that has plagued collectors since long before I started - no argument there!!

If you recall the thread there was an Eagle/B German Police marked SS Leader�s Sword that came into the discussion at some point. There is also a Waffenamted version, but I don�t remember offhand if I posted it there or not. Both were fakes.

I looked into the timing of the Police markings a little bit back then but got distracted for some reason or other. Do you have a date when the Flieger-Stafel was put into operation with aircraft? I'm headed out again. Best Regards, FP

Luft-alum-wbrass_-_mod.jpg (57.21 KB, 359 downloads)