No Fred, I thought the black and white exercise was to determine if the photo in Die Woche was a piece with steel or brass fittings.

As for Tom Johnson's comment about LW machetes only being used by the LW... Trouble is, the "LW" machete he pictured in Vol III (or was it IV?) that was shown with the Die Woche LW photo was not "LW" marked. It was the E/B brass fitting machete owned by Jerry Drake (that I later bought with the magazine). Tom didn't know what a police acceptance stamp was or didn't care when he was assembling his "edited" book. Remember that many people wrote Tom's books. I was one of them- police chapter in Vol IV. So that kind of reduces his comment to meaningless. And there was one other photo of a machete shown-a minty blued version in the frog. But the trademark and blade were never shown. It was owned by Pat Caldwell.

I know you have had reservations about these brass variations with police acceptance.And again I repeat the the period documentation of these is nil. I accepted them as original because of my study of the police Flieger-Stafel and the rather sudden and early appearance of them to collectors.

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Looking for Walther Model 8 #727649
and Walther PP #975557