Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JCHSC Offline OP
OP Offline
I need to understand some things. I have just gotten interested in the collecting of WW2 german daggers and the ones that I have are in moderate condition. I have been looking around at pictures and also joining discussions about these bueatiful objects and it seams clear that most of the ones I see are in great condition. They are shined and there is little wear on them. How is this possible if you are not supposed to clean them. They are from the 30's and 40"s an dhave been through so much, so how are they preserved so well.
I have pictures of one of my SA's in the Rohms discussions.
Please help me understand so that I can put any thoughts of cleanning out of my mind.
Thank you

D
D
Hello, I come from the school that patina is dirt, but when you see an even patina on a army officers dagger it is best left alone, A luftwaffe comes in a varieght of finishes and should never be cleaned except for the blade.
It has been my expierience that if a seller says I will leave it up to the new owner to clean it, you had better give it the twice over, because it usually means it will not clean up. But this is not always true. If you have a SA all shinnning and setting next to a old grungy looking one, which one catches your eye. If it is the old grungy one, then that is your answer. That is what you like, untouched examples. But some SA daggers do need the pommel nut loosed just to releve the pressure of 65 years of wood expansion and contraction.
Beauty is in the eye of the owner. I hope this helps, I really only know what I feel from my years of messing with this stuff and it is just my opinion.

All statements made on this site are for this site only and not for public posting
T
T
There is always an opinion about the dags being cleaned up and washing away 60 years of patina...I myself like the older looking dags but would never pass up a clean beauty...as shown in the photo, WinkTiep

apost.jpg (69.54 KB, 550 downloads)
N
N
i only clean the dirt off the outside and gently polish the blade with autosolve which removes ,and protects from , rust

A
A
I've said this before but it's worth repeating. The biggest problem we have in the Southwest is low humidity which can play havok with wood. I routinely wax my wood gripped daggers and would advise anyone living in a low humidity area to do the same.
Jim

I replied to your question in the SA forum.
IMO clean them, this patina is TOXIC DIRT(NICOTINE) it doesn't get any better.

I rather drive around in a clean car then an aged PATINA one.

And I think your SA is an easy clean up.

"Nothing is new, only forgotten" Tyla
Somewhere, in the last 6 months or so there was a nicotine/patina debate. I think it's in this section. There were varied opinions and made for interesting reading.

German Sabers
Just remember, once you have cleaned it, the patina takes 60-70 years to come back! I like the unmessed with daggers, BUT I also enjoy the cleaned ones as well. IMO Patina adds value and authenticy.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
and Don't look to anyone no matter WHO they are to touch them up!!!!

Rod

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Regardless of the faults you may think it has.... you are NOT buying it from the original owner,,,, the faults may just be from resting in the rust bucket in ole Uncle Jim's bucket in the barn where it has resided for most of the time since WW2 or past through the hands of several disinterested owners ...

Be happy with what you have!!!

I wish someone would have given me this OBVIOUS advice...

Some cleaning sins are foregiveable. Case in point. An army I cleaned a few years ago is showing some real nice promise regarding its re-patinaing. It'll be tough to completely reachieve the patina it once had, but it's certianly on its way. Pics are posted in a thread in the army, luft, etc section.

Regarding army sabers, I stand by my feelings. These need to be clean and crisp looking (IMHO). But that's also coming from a sword guy Wink

German Sabers

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,269,508 SS Bayonets
1,766,672 Teno Insignia Set
1,136,603 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Official weapon of youth organizations
by den70 - 06/02/2024 08:23 PM
Copper NSKK eagle
by BretVanSant - 06/01/2024 11:11 PM
Baden Police and Customs Official Bayonets
by Fitzer - 06/01/2024 01:17 AM
2 bad or 2 good
by Cameron - 05/31/2024 08:32 PM
Help Please
by Mauser88 - 05/26/2024 11:14 PM
Latest New Posts
westwall rings
by Stephen - 06/03/2024 12:43 PM
Copper NSKK eagle
by Herman V. (aka Herr Mann) - 06/03/2024 10:29 AM
Official weapon of youth organizations
by Herman V. (aka Herr Mann) - 06/03/2024 10:24 AM
U.S. Memorial Day 2024
by Gaspare - 06/02/2024 10:33 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 06/02/2024 05:36 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,671
Posts329,314
Members7,547
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
9 members (Ryanpyc57, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Nietzsche, Fitzer, Stephen, Vik, philippe, benten, Evgeniy), 207 guests, and 98 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod