Hi All:

Let me share some of what I have learned after more than two years of intensive search into creating my database of now more than 80,000 SS numbers not in the SS Dienstalterslistes. First, not every SS Mann had a SS number. They were given to every SS Mann, both officers, NCO's and enlisted, from the beginning of the SS up through the end of the 1930s. What I am not sure of is if new members to the Allgemeine after that point continued to receive SS numbers. All new recruits to the Waffen SS, who had not been in the Allgemeine SS, did not receive a SS number. They are primarily tracked by birthdate instead of a serial number like the US Army. Those who had received SS numbers before that time still had their numbers track them on much of their paper trail through to the end of the war. The highest two SS numbers in Bernie's The Key are 625 419 are 729 370. The highest numbers I have found have been in the low 500,000's. I recorded a "828 519" but no others above the 500,000's so I believe it was a typo. And believe me, there are frequent typos involving lists with SS numbers. That is why it is imperative to check additional records to confirm a SS number on any document before accepting it as accurate, particularly if you are buying a SS dagger or sword based on that preliminary identification. I recently had a case where the SS Mann's SS number was being mixed up with his NSDAP number on official documents since they were both five digits. Which leads to another point that, from what I have seen, there are no SS numbers of more than six digits. And I have come across at least one SS Mann who had two SS numbers and the anomaly was confirmed in official orders.

Its been an interesting project that, so far, has identified the SS owners of more than 100 SS daggers that were unknown just two years ago. I reached the personal "100" goal just last week and surprisingly passed it in a couple of days.

Regards,

Ross Kelbaugh
www.ssdaggers.com

"Making History Personal"- Research for Collectors by a Collector.