Interesting Fred--except that I find it almost impossible to accept that this "mistake" was made in the early brass and then carried on in the later aluminum without detection????????? IMO impossible to imagine.
I don't understand the "why" of this sword either but it seems to have been made for a considerable length of time--not just a couple of days or a week.
As I said before I have heard about these swords for many years so they have been around for a long time--and I don't remember Atwood having any either.
It's really a puzzle but the construction looks period. We may never know but, like you, I would love to hear the statement of the original owner and the current offering dealer-- Many would not believe but it would be interesting.
An original photo of the sword in wear would be the ultimate-even a poor photo could probably be enhanced to tell if the design was the same even if the swaz could not be seen.
One additional thought-Why would a dealer trying to sell an expensive made up grouping-throw in a sword with such a controversal design? Makes no sense to me??????
Good to hear from you Fred. Wish you were more active on the forum.

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.