Ron, personally I do not believe that this early postal was only a "school" dagger. It�s configuration totally resembles the 1st Mod. RLB officer�s dagger but with laquered scabbard. I think they (postal and RLB) soon found the small, single leather hanger too fragile for wear of this heavy daggers. Therefore the hangers were changed; RLB changed to the well known two arms eather hanger, postal choose to change to the well known chain hanger.
As postals initial run were numbered pieces they could be rejected for the altering to the chain hanger for as good as 100%.
As there is only ONE pic worldwide showing this early postal dagger in wear (I do own it Wink) I think it cannot be nailed down to a school dagger, only because this certain pic came out of a convolute of pics where also pics of a postal school were included. The caption itself on the back of the pic does not give the least hint on school duty of the certain official.

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.