Don rarely posts much anywhere,,but he posted at another site soon to be gone. Thought I'd post here for those interested in reading. Quoted word for word as posted there:

" Gaspare sent me an e-mial on some information listed on Wikipedia. It is under ( Wikipedia SS- Erenring ). It pertains to the SS Honor Ring and gives much information on it but also has some mis-inforation or wrong information in my personal opinion having examined more original Honor Rings and Honor Ring Boxes then anyone. Along with the original information I have accumulated over my 40 years of collecting and dealing. This being said everyone respects (Wikipedia) as they all should as I use them on many occasions but in this section on Honor Rings there is one statment in my personal opinion that has made its way to the most respectable information center in the world shuch as (Wikipedia) which is not true.
Please pass this information along to others so it does not become a part of reality because it is purely fiction and not true in my opinion. Th part under ( SS-Erenring) that states how the Honor Rings were made is ( LOST WAX METHOD ). These rings were never made with the lost wax method and I will give you two reasons why first if the lost wax method was used there would be no reason to have the skull seperate from the ring as it would be made as one unit or piece which would save money and time.
The second is not only would the skull and ring be made at the same time but the engraving would not be hand engraved but lost wax cast along with the ring and skull . It is just common sense. If you look at a mothers cross yo will see the date and a copy of Hitlers signature on the back and it is not hand engraved so why not do the same with the Honor Ring engraving and skull. Do it all together with the ring as one unit saves money and time. Everyone or most people know were the (LOST WAX METHOD) originated and I am tellng you as my personal opinion and from personal experence over 40 years this is not the way it is done and it is sad that it made its way to one of the most respected research sites as being true.
So don't always believe what you read aways ask questions from reputable dealer and collectors or dealers with many years under there belt of collecting and dealing and not people who have been in the hobby for a few years who like to ride on the coat tails of others to achieve a name in the hobby which they are not deserving of as there are many out there willing to share there time and knowledge. Thank You for letting me vent a little. Best Wishes Don Boyle "

I agree 100% with Don. I've done much research in the last 10 years for my ring book. Gone thru many period documents, advertiseing and interviews, 90% of private purchase rings were made in the 'flat' from a press and the HR also certainly wasn't 'Investment Cast. It is easy sometimes to make a mistake and I'm glad Don rectified it..