Dave,

I will give you two parallel instances which I think support my belief.

Firstly; recipients of the Blood Order were given a special booklet (a bit like a Fuhrerschein) which they were supposed to carry, and which confirmed that they were the acknowledged recipient of the award that they displayed. Therefore, at any time, they could be required to prove entitlement to the bearing of such an award.

Secondly; Authentic Luftwaffe Generalsdegens with the Goring inscription seem to exist only in examples manufactured by Eickhorn - and then only in the form of the later (post-1937) white grip and not the wire-wrapped grip.

The comparable WKC Luft Degen, remains in their catalogues shown with a plain (or partially etched) blade.

I respectfully submit that the right to bear the Goring dedication was a "bestowal in word and recognition" - and that if the recipient wanted to show this recognition on his sword, then he had to purchase one from Eickhorn (Pattern 1732, Price 39.50 Reichsmarks).

I hope that this offers some enlightenment to your question

Best regards

FJS

P.S. I would not be ungrateful to receive a reply the the private e-mails that I have sent to you.