Terry,
The contours are completely beneath the surface of the plating, the etch feels inset with no raised surfaces. The thing to remember here is all pictures with the exception of the first, that I show are digitally enhanced by the camera and do not show the true intended visual perspective of the motto.
George, beautifull example of how an Eickhorn etch should look and my compliments on the photography, would love to know how many attempts it took Smile.
The example I show has consistent depth across the etch, which in my opinion writes off stamping as you say, photo etching I know nothing about, what would be used as a template? is it possible to photo etch a curved surface?.
In hand this thig has me totally convinced, to the point I am willing to send it on a holiday if necessary. The quality on post war etches just do not match up. The other points to note are the double / bordered pattern to the etch versus the single line etch to the Eick, differences in manufacturer or in application?, again this is not visible to the eye, only once enhanced.