Louie, By current U.S. standards �gold wash/gold flash� electroplating is 2 to 5 millionths of an inch. �Gold plating� is a minimum of 7 millionths of an inch. And �heavy gold plating� can be 100 millionths of an inch. Electroplating was introduced in about the middle of the 19th century but I don�t know exactly when Solingen makers started using it or how close their standards were to ours. Electroplating will or should be smooth in appearance. Which was one of its other major advantages over the original fire gilt process (besides safety and economics) because fire gilt had to be polished smooth after it was applied.

The Germans also used a process called Brennlak. Which was a paint that when baked left a finely divided metallic powder in a carrier adhering to the base metal. Under high power magnification (preferably in sunlight) separate metallic particles can usually be seen. Brennlak will also tend to form little areas/clumps of excess material in miscellaneous locations (looking something like the fire gilt picture I posted). And while both plating and Brennlak can flake off. With Brennlak/paint the edges of the flakes won�t be sharp edged. (Anodizing is smooth and doesn�t flake, chip, or peel because it�s an integral part of the base metal.)

I don�t know if that helps or not. But those are some of the things I would be looking at if I had the dagger in hand. Regards, FP