Tim,
The discussion has slowed down, and I suspect that the construction of the sword is causing at least some �head scratching� trying to figure out if it is a legitimate period item or not. Not surprising since fake or altered originals have been around for something in the neighborhood of perhaps 40 years or more, with publications discussing and illustrating fakes almost that long. One of the 30 year old published examples was a highly questionable original SA dagger that had the same type of East Front presentation for bravery.

I am NOT saying Jim�s sword is a fake. Only pointing out a reality that unfortunately confronts all collectors, but it seems most especially those who collect SS items. Besides how it was made - what I would perhaps even more seriously look at would be the circumstances around the award of the sword. It ostensibly was awarded for bravery in combat in 1942. My point here being that as I understand the situation the award of the Ehrendegen was a jealously guarded prerogative of Reichsf�hrer der SS Heinrich Himmler. And it was his privilege alone to award Honor Swords.

Hopefully a search along that line of thought might shed some more light onto where this sword fits into the scheme of things.
FP