I don't have an adequate answer as to the question of "why". I have seen multiple different one of a kind fakes of SS swords. But I have also seen legitimate period examples of different SS items that are significantly outside of what normally might be expected.

Some folks think that everything that is different is a fake by virtue of being different. From my viewpoint I think that some portion of those opinions are probably wrong or at best inconclusive. As Houston has oftentimes very correctly pointed out not everything is or was cookie cutter perfectly identical, and legitimate differences/variations are sometimes seen. And a very close examination will sometimes provide a clue to a fake - but not always. And for other examples they stay unresolved until additional information is collected or made available. And for still other items they will probably never be successfully determined as to what exactly they are.

A major plus of a forum like this is that everyone gets a look at an item. And can then point out the pluses and minuses of the various examples which deviate from standard. And sometimes (but not always) even arrive at a consensus about an item as being either good or bad.

FP