Hello Ron-

Thanks for the information about the RK KVKs. I think that this is a piece that is not often discussed that we can all learn more about.

Yes, it appears as though there were two dies for this piece and examples of both with provenance. There were other awards in which the dies were changed, an example being juncker pilot badges. However, changes in dies for the wreaths did not appear to occur in other DKiG makers, making a different die for this piece odd. Again, I do not discount that a dotted piece may be wartime, but I find the issues regarding lack of provenance, lack of klein pieces with dots, and different wreath and sunburst troubling. If a piece comes up with solid provenance, I will certainly change my views and fully admit that there is not a definitive answer, unlike the situation with the rounder RK, where solid evidence shows a post war production.

Why did deschler have two dies for the RK KVK? Who knows, as it seems odd for a piece that probably did not have high production levels.