Rather than starting a new thread, I'll add to this one. When I first started collecting dagggers and for many years thereafter, I used plain "Vasoline", petroleum jelly on my dagger/sword blades. Later on, for a reason I don't even remember, I went to gun oil instead.
My most recent switch was to "Marvel Super Lubricant", a "Marvel Mystery Oil" product.
Here, I have seen reference to using wax and I do use "Tree Wax"(sp?)on firearms and on the Gatling Gun when it is polished as well as other brass items.
It appears that there are as many methods of preservation for blades as collectors.
My question is this: "Is there a definitively BETTER preservation method than another"?
To my mind, since Silicon "displaces moisture and in so doing may prevent plated items from "bubbling", that self same Silicon is taking the place OF the moisture as it is "displacing" it!
That in mind, it would seem that one would not want another material "in" the tiny recess?
What therefore IS the difinitive answer? Gun oil? Silicon? Wax?--if wax WHY a particular brand? And, above all, WHY?