There will be much more on this thread. I am working on documenting as much as possible of his history. The problem is simply his age. It is extremely hard to stay on track with him and very often the story changes due to his memory.

What I can add, is that Heinz Macher himself awarded him his Knights Cross in April 1945. My friend and Macher at that time drove from Dresden to Berlin as Macher had a meeting with the Reichsfuhrer SS. This must have been around mid April. Most likely second or third week of April as he was while in Berlin given 21 days leave until 12 May.

We all know by now, that Macher was the one that undertook the orders directly from Himmler to blast the SS Honor Rings into the mountain by Wewelsburg. Also, Macher accompanied Himmler when he was arrested. So his meetings in Berlin makes sense. Personally I believe he went to the Reichsfuhrer SS to give the report from Wewelsburg which took place first days of April. Macher was one of the few people that Himmler trusted at the end.

My friend says he never saw Himmler himself while in Berlin, but he belives that Macher had received approval from the Reichsfuhrer SS for his RK. He also tells me that Macher entered it into his Soldbuch. WHERE IS THAT SOLDBUCH TODAY?

Also I have a correction. The 3 tanks he shot with Panzerfaust outside of Breslau was in January 1945.

Here is a photo of both of taken recently.

Erik

H_E2.jpg (69.8 KB, 293 downloads)

[Linked Image from img244.imageshack.us]