Over the weekend I took another look at the first thread to see if there were some things that could agreed upon by all. What I found when I reread it, only made me want to question some of the statements made in both threads.

Craig Gottlieb Posted 01 August 2007 ........ �I am starting a thread ........ 2) NSKK Honor Daggers have two types of chains. Either an 800 silver chain that is unique to these pieces, or a standard-looking NSKK chain. Both chain configurations exhibit a very unique looking center scabbard fitting." Posted 01 August 2007 ......�Here is the upper chain clip - very unique configuration ...... and the presence of Gahr Munich silver stamps (which are always poorly stamped on these pieces)� etc. etc. which has already been fairly well gone over.
?
Jason Burmeister Posted 02 August 2007 �The base features of the Chained NSKK High Leader are identical to all Honor daggers produced by Eickhorn during the period with the exception that the reverse of the blade exhibits a stylized signature of Hunlein, the NSKK Korpsfuher. A unique feature of this pattern is the two styles of chains. The nickel chain is basically identical to that found on the model 36 and the 800 silver differs in that the upper connecting device is void of a clip. Instead the silver example is produced to accommodate the short leather hanger typically encountered on the 33 pattern political daggers. The center scabbard band on both is nickel. A few examples have had the upper device on silver chains period modified to incorporate an upper clip similar to the nickel example. Of the modified examples examined no two are alike.�

Which it seems are some as yet unseen versions of the "H�hnlein" daggers. At first I thought it sounded like some of the "mixing and matching" of parts - as seen currently with some of the daggers. But the "no two are alike" description (without some pictures), I'm afraid will have to be one of many, many, "mysteries" of the "H�hnlein" daggers.

Craig Gottlieb Posted 04 September 2009 23:32 �I am ALL FOR a discussion of this dagger type at the MAX show, and will be glad to provide anything by way of contribution to the topic. Regarding the "ugliest NSKK" competition: myself and two other dealers purchased one from a guy who rode into the Kassel show on a bicycle, about 3 years ago. It was void of any scabbard, and the blade was slightly less "holey" than swiss-cheeze. It was truly awful, and I'm glad I don't have a picture of it! ........

Craig Gottlieb Posted 02 August 2007 �One last comment for the time being, as I am on the way out of town. About 2 years ago, myself and Jason Burmeister, and Brian Maederer purchased a very poorly-conditioned example of this dagger at one of the large German shows (I can't remember if it was Kassel or Stuttgart). The gentleman we purchased it from is a well-known picker in Germany that we have all done business with before. He told us that the family he bought it from discovered it in the attic of a barn in Bavaria. I know this is only 2nd hand knowledge from us, but it is important and relevant testimony.� (That�s a long way to pedal a bike unless he just sat around in Kassel (or Stuttgart) waiting for things to come to him. And it would seem that he just wasn't some �random guy� who went to a show.) FP

NSKK 2007 thread