Gaspare, The swapping of scabbards and handle fittings/componets for the �political� daggers has been going on for almost as long as I can remember. But I think you may have missed the "great handle swapping era" for the military daggers. Which was going on sometime near the time when I first joined as a member. With the different colored handles made of cast phenolic resin being switched out so guys could "dress up" their favorite dagger. It destroyed the historical originality of a lot of daggers. And more than a few dealers used the naturally occurring color changes to charge an extra premium for the daggers they were selling. With some even claiming they were "special factory orders".

Mikee, I have some more photos. But here is a �GAHR" (cast in place marking) - "800� stamped wide connector of a �H�hnlein� blade marked dagger that I think will work as a representative example. With those really weird rectangular or squarish shaped small wire link connectors. The irregular/distorted poorly made small links suggest that the alloy is too soft for its intended application. And the noticeable split where the green arrow is could be from the manufacturing process used, but I think I need to see the inside of the whole link before making a more definitive statement.

I have no explanation as to why these so badly cast silver suspension chain sets escaped a more critical focus of attention to detail. For so many dealers and collectors alike, for as many years as they obviously did. FP

NSKK_AG_alloy.jpg (77.67 KB, 551 downloads)