As soon as someone explains to me and many others how a dagger with obvious bogus hangers got into a vets posession even at the end of the war I'll drop what I consider to be healthy skepticism.
No one,to the best of my knowledge in all the discussions of these daggers has even tried to explain the presence of bogus as well as illegal hangers.
Furthermore, There were tons of left over dagger parts at wars end including unfinished damascus dagger blades and this is well documented in Johnsons book as well as elsewhere. I'm reasonably sure that if someone had wanted a Huhnlein honor dagger or any other inscribed dagger for that matter Jim Atwood or Roger Steele or some other faker would have been glad to oblige them. It would not have been necessary IMO to deface an existing honor dagger to make up one of these "Huhnleins" as has been maintained elsewhere.
Of course the Gahrs who made special chains were gone by this time so other arrangements would have to be made to create these parts.
I could go on and on inre. to convoluted veteran and veterans relatives testimony but those who know this don't need a discourse and those who discount it wouldn't believe me anyway.
The bottom line at least to me is we'll probably never know for sure if some of these are in fact pre 1945 legit. creations with bogus examples sprinkled in or they are all post war fantasy pieces.
Jim