Houston, I respect your long tenure in this hobby. And the many contributions you have made to GDC and its members. Also acknowledging that we sometimes have differences in the way we look at things. And that while not everyone appreciates enhanced digital imaging or image manipulation. Sometimes you just have to use the tools that you have available.

I�m hopeful that by sharing these images, you will understand my point of view about this knife being a postwar fake versus: �HJ could not have been cleaned off or otherwise destroyed by the elements.� With my original intent being to illustrate that what at first glance might seem to be a legitimate period item could be, or with this example is in fact a postwar "enhancement". And if something does not seem quite right - don�t be afraid to question it.

By looking at both sides of the blade. We see in the first image a worn, pitted, tired blade on the left. And a more polished surface in the area of the etch on the opposite side, surrounded by more pitting (the word �polished� on the far left is not that legible).

The white spots are preexisting pits in the blade, which have been partially filled in with the acid etchant, leaving a fairly reflective whitish residue. Also noteworthy is the difference in surface finishes, which is seen with at least one example of the H�hnlein daggers.

Party_Day_pitting.jpg (102.18 KB, 868 downloads)