Mike
You grabbed that picture, did you? That was taken at Eric Hartmann's (the Famous Ace of Luftwaffe flying fame) wedding.

It shows me that there was definitely a black gripped 2nd Luft made and in use during the period when Hartmann was married. It could find NO reason to change colors or be painted? Never had it, never will, the paint that is. Looks like it had a damascus blade, too.

You read about regulations and catalog specs, OR lack of around the color black, and then wonder why anyone would have sported a black gripped 2nd Luft OR Army, but I know they did. A couple of Armys that I own have ZERO traces of paint same as your 2nd Luft. Another was painted yellow and is peeling everywhere. I think it may have boiled down to personal choice as to the color of the grip even though no documentation exists stating black as an option. That is really no surprise as that happens today in many cases where certain options are omitted in docs until asked for by the buyer. May also have been some specific use such as 1st Rail, Funeral, wedding, or whatever......dependent upon the dagger type. Our guess is as good as any?
Denny

" Always interested in Aluminum fitted, rare, and superbly conditioned Army daggers." DJ Roach