UBB.threads
Posted By: Jan CZ Fsch.Pi.Bat.11 fotoalbum - 05/17/2007 11:12 AM
Hope this is not against rules... I found this auction on German E-ban... Very interesting!
http://cgi.ebay.de/Fotoalbum-FALLSCHIMJAEGER-Fallsch-Pi...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted By: Doug Kenwright Re: Fsch.Pi.Bat.11 fotoalbum - 05/17/2007 02:47 PM
Very nice...it will go higher though!

photo albums used to be very affordable, but this might go to a specialty collector or to a consortium..
Posted By: Chris M Re: Fsch.Pi.Bat.11 fotoalbum - 05/19/2007 02:08 AM
Yes, you can certainly post things like that here for comment -- if you're not the seller.

I personnaly have some doubts about the originality of the photos in that album. I'd have to see that one up close. From the imperfection in the images (scratches, hairs), you can see that many, perhaps most -- are copies of other photos. This was not uncommon during the war -- but it's not uncommon after the war, either. It's not hard to take an original album, copy some photos from another album, use wavy edge scissors, and make a repro of a real album. I'm not saying it's definitely bad -- but this is one you'd have to inspect closely in person. I'd be careful of this one.
Posted By: Jan CZ Re: Fsch.Pi.Bat.11 fotoalbum - 05/21/2007 05:24 AM
Chris, thanks for comment, I almost forgot everything can be faked and photos are very easy....

Jan
Posted By: Chris M Re: Fsch.Pi.Bat.11 fotoalbum - 05/21/2007 09:59 PM
Although old stocks of photo paper have been found, most photo paper made after the war contains phosphates to artificially brighten the paper. Because it is the presnce of phosphates which makes an article (clothing, paper) react to blacklight by "glowing," many postwar forgeries can be detected in this way. However, forgers of photographs have become adept at giving the photographs "chemical baths" which leech out or neutralize much of the phosphate content, a treatment which is followed by other baths to yellow and age the image. It is still possible to tell, but one must have experience and knowledge -- and be cautious.
© Your new forums