UBB.threads
Posted By: DerKerl Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/17/2008 07:44 AM
Hi; Any thoughts? When made? Personallized with C.KOTTE. Dienst List?

Attached picture CarlEickhornCav2.jpg
Posted By: Swordfish Re: Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/17/2008 08:34 AM
Looks like a Third Reich era Eickorn panther head cavalry saber. I own the same one. Looks to be brass hilted, with much of it's gold colored gilt intact. More photos of the whole package might be of help in providing additional opinions and more substantial information.
Posted By: DerKerl Re: Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/17/2008 06:01 PM
Hi; Here's the back. Is there a dienst list out there? Are these with no swaz earlier or was it just what the guy ordered. Doug

Attached picture CarlEickhornCavback.jpg
Posted By: Swordfish Re: Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/17/2008 06:23 PM
I don't knkow what you mean by dienst. list.

This would be what the officer or NCO ordered. It was made without the swas, and just had the sabers on the langet to delliniate cavalry. Various other models, devoid of the national symbol were available during the TR era. Artillery saber, will have crossed cannons, and some other sabers will have crossed oak leaf sprigs or various other designs. These were various designs available at the discretion of the officer during the time. However, sabers with the symbol certainly dominated the era.

Nice looking saber by the way.
Posted By: ORPO Re: Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/17/2008 08:00 PM
SwordFish called it. It is an Eickhorn lionhead S�bel Modell #1312
Posted By: DerKerl Re: Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/17/2008 10:30 PM
Jees O"Petes! How many different ones did Eickhorn make anyway? Dienst List? A book of all the officers and a little bio. of them. Shouldn't be that many with that first initial and name that is a cavelry officer. I thought that NCOs got the plain ones? After five years in Africa, I thought I knew a lion when I saw one. Doug
Posted By: Joe S Re: Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/18/2008 02:44 AM
Your saber is an Eickhorn model 1312, which is one of may favorites due to the extensive hand chiseling on the hilt. It is usually found with the 1930's trademark of the squirrel in the oval with the words "Carl Eickhorn Solingen " around the perimeter. The firm made hundreds of different pattern army sabers, with about 17 being standardized in the Third Reich. The model 1312 is shown in a soft cover catalog dated 1935(I think)which still shows the oval trademark, and it is also shown in a catalog dated 1933 so we know it goes back at least that far. I did not see it in the 1918 catalog Musterbuch der Waffenfabrik Carl Eickhorn Solingen. I will try to post the color photo of the saber from the Nov, 1933 catalog. Joe S

Attached picture reduces1312.jpg
Posted By: DerKerl Re: Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/18/2008 02:52 AM
Yeah. That's the makers mark all right. Stamped into the blade right below it is the guys name. Any way of getting that guys history? Does anyone have access to the Bundes Archive? thanks Doug
Posted By: Joe S Re: Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/18/2008 03:18 AM
Hello Doug,

Check your nearest university library. The U of Wisconsin at Madison has a few Rangliste, mostly in the Imperial era but still usefull. Joe S
Posted By: DerKerl Re: Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/18/2008 04:05 PM
Hi; Thanks. Nothing on line? Interlibrary loan time. Doug
Posted By: painter80 Re: Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/18/2008 04:55 PM
I cannot add any info but I would like to share the original catalog printing plate for that sword.

Attached picture Picture_372.jpg
Posted By: DerKerl Re: Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/18/2008 06:33 PM
Wow! Is the plate dated? I Emailed a member who has the list. Might get lucky. Doug
Posted By: painter80 Re: Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/18/2008 08:20 PM
the plate is not dated. There were 3 of them, one for each ink of the color printing. I sold 2, but kept one. I think the other 2 ended up with another member here.
Posted By: DAMAST Re: Carl Eickhorn Cav. - 03/19/2008 12:07 AM
You are correct Big Grin Mr Painter
© Your new forums