UBB.threads
Houston - As mentioned at SOS, this is a hunting dagger I picked up from a Vet family. I took photos of it before I even cleaned off the hardened Cosmoline. Includes a rather simple hanger with a slit and an under the tunic hanger.

The motif is military to me, not hunting. The dagger is not of the same quality as others I have seen, but is completely untouched.

Appreciate any comments on it's origin. Based on the items obtained with it, I believe it dates to Imperial era.

Attached picture Hunting_Dagger_001.jpg

Attached picture Hunting_Dagger_002.jpg
Before Cosmoline is removed

Attached picture Hunting_Dagger_003.jpg
More of the Cosmoline on the blade

Attached picture Hunting_Dagger_004.jpg
Up close of uncleaned blade

Attached picture Hunting_Dagger_005.jpg
More up close before I cleaned it off

Attached picture Hunting_Dagger_006.jpg
Cleaned up a bit

Attached picture Hunting_Dagger_008.jpg
More of a cleaned blade. There is some plating loss to the spine and the blade tip area, but overall pretty nice.

Attached picture Hunting_Dagger_010.jpg
Up close on Verdigris

Attached picture Hunting_Dagger_004a.jpg
More up close

Attached picture Hunting_Dagger_002a.jpg
101 views and no responses to my query. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Back in the Day we used to run across Cosmo'd pieces. What a chore it was to remove that heavy grease.
Today we wish for pieces like this. Look at the frosting on that blade!
Damn I want that thing Jeff give me a gingle!

-Congrats on another woodwork virgin score- Wink

-serge-
Jeff,

Congrats on a nice find and you did a good job cleaning her up.

Isn't this considered a schutzen or schutzengilden Hirschfanger?
Serge - You caught me. The reason both the Heer and this dagger are covered with Cosmoline is they are from the same Vet. I have kept them together since I got them together.

Good eye.
Gee, you CLEANED that up... SHAME on you!
Mt comment: lOOKS great.

I Love This Stuff
Von Ryan

Description: Shoot & Shell
Attached picture 3xcetch42.jpg
Von Ryan - Nice little artillery battery you have there!

Are you familiar with this particular etch or style of Hirschfaenger?
Great blades there guys!! Easy way to remove cosmoline is laquer thinner. Smile
Bringing this back up.

Houston, what are your thoughts on it? Thanks.
I've always considered these types to be for Shooting or military clubs, it looks a nice piece with it's original sling/hanger.It could be anywhere between 1900-1930.

Gary
Hi Gary - That helps bracket this down. Smile

I intend on selling it sometime soon before we move, but it's always best to know what one has before selling.
As Gary says--private purchase piece used for a variety of purposes made by several companies-this one having more of an unusual type hilt than most. Most have the typical upturned hoof cross guard
Thanks Houston and others for your opinions. This was a first for me to come across one from a GI family.

I am going to sign up for a Premium membership on the forum and list for sale on Classifieds this week if anyone is interested. Smile
© Your new forums