UBB.threads
Posted By: Anttom Frog Type On Imperial KS98 Sawback - 03/19/2009 04:52 PM
Can someone post a picture of a WWI frog for an Imperial pp KS98 Sawback Bayonet. I also have a question about the frog. How different was an Imperial KS98 Sawback bayonet frog from the Weimar and Nazi KS98 bayonet frogs?
Posted By: Anttom Re: Frog Type On Imperial KS98 Sawback - 03/20/2009 07:21 PM
I found one Imperial Bavarian Frog in George Wheeler's book History of the German Bayonet 1919-1945 on page 247 of the 1st. edition. It is in brown saddle leather and has a pointed face piece sewn with orange thread with no washers or center seems. I am going to have a collector who makes custom 19th century reproductions make me one in tannish brown leather with tannish orange thread by hand. I just don't think that many KS98 frogs have survived from the Imperial German/WWI period.
Posted By: ORPO Re: Frog Type On Imperial KS98 Sawback - 03/20/2009 07:53 PM
Antton,

Here is a color picture of the brown Bavarian frog shown on page 247 of my book. This should be a little better view as the other picture is in black and white.

George

Attached picture KS98_Bavarian_frog.JPG
Posted By: Anttom Re: Frog Type On Imperial KS98 Sawback - 03/20/2009 09:05 PM
Thanks but the picture went to a red zero before I could see it. That seems to happen a great deal on this board it is a real PIA.
Posted By: Anttom Re: Frog Type On Imperial KS98 Sawback - 03/20/2009 09:21 PM
Thanks Again. The picture finally came up and I sent it to the guy doing the work. The Imperial colored leather he usually works in is a lighter shade more on the tannish side. I asked him if he could get this color? Even if he can't I'm still going to have it made because the color he normally uses looks exactly like the color pictures that I have seen of Imperial frogs in the past.
Posted By: Anttom Re: Frog Type On Imperial KS98 Sawback - 03/21/2009 08:55 AM
Your color picture of the Bavarian KS98 Frog was a life saver. The man doing the work said he could match the color. Thanks again.
Posted By: ORPO Re: Frog Type On Imperial KS98 Sawback - 03/22/2009 02:07 AM
You are welcome. I am glad it was helpful.
© Your new forums