UBB.threads
Posted By: Matarese Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 09/20/2009 04:26 PM
Hello,

Big surprise to find this one in a local militaria show this morning.
Same number on blade & scabbard. Mint blade.
Wonderful stag grip.
If someone has an original leather frog for this one, I'm buyer.

Best regards.

JC

Attached picture IMGP2968.jpg
Posted By: Matarese Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 09/20/2009 04:27 PM

Attached picture IMGP2969.jpg
Posted By: Matarese Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 09/20/2009 04:28 PM

Attached picture IMGP2967.jpg
Posted By: Matarese Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 09/20/2009 04:28 PM

Attached picture IMGP2970.jpg
Posted By: Matarese Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 09/20/2009 04:29 PM

Attached picture IMGP2971.jpg
Posted By: Matarese Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 09/20/2009 04:29 PM

Attached picture IMGP2972.jpg

Attached picture IMGP2973.jpg
Posted By: Matarese Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 09/20/2009 04:30 PM

Attached picture IMGP2974.jpg
Posted By: ORPO Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 09/20/2009 10:05 PM
An excellent catch Matrese! Congratulations on a scarce bayonet.
Dang, thats a nice piece. Have always wanted one, but the prices on these are crazy.
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 09/20/2009 10:43 PM
Very nice piece, especially the nicely toned stag grips. Also nice to have a matched inventory number too. If you can't find a Luft marked frog I think you can simply use a nicely conditioned brown patent leather example.
Long misunderstood but these are finally being appreciated for what a fine and scarce Luft item they truly are.
-Congrats-!

-serge-
Posted By: Matarese Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 09/21/2009 05:18 PM
Thanks.
I like this one too.... Smile
Posted By: jancz3rt Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 09/21/2009 07:37 PM
Wow, what a beauty Smile I really love these and they are indeed rare birds to find. Finding one in this condition makes it that bit more fascinating!

JAN Big Grin
These are one of my favorite bayonet style knives. Tom Wittmann thinks the H may stand for Hildesheim, and these may have been issued to a special Luftwaffe unit guarding the air field there which housed experimental aircraft.

Attached picture Luft_Bayo_Group_sm.jpg
Posted By: Johnny V. Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 10/25/2009 11:33 PM
Vintage!
Dear LORD!!!
Eek Eek Eek

Please slow down and let the rest of us catch up!!!
Big Grin
Johnny
were these supposed to be blued? i have seen maybe 7 of these int he last 15 years on the internet. nice!
The metal oval guards are not stainless, and often develop a rust patina that looks like bluing. Some are numbered, but most are not?

Attached picture Numbered_Luft_forest_sm.jpg
Posted By: seany Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 10/26/2009 09:38 PM
John what a collection Eek
there are a lot of fakes of these in england have you any pointers? i have been looking for one for a few years now but never been happy with the ones i have seen.
Sean
Posted By: spock Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 10/26/2009 10:31 PM
OOOh nice, I have one in my drawers...somewhere..
quote:
Originally posted by seany:
John what a collection Eek
there are a lot of fakes of these in england have you any pointers? i have been looking for one for a few years now but never been happy with the ones i have seen.
Sean

Sean, look at the overall quality..these are very well made. Also, the stag should show age. Last, check out the stampings, they should look exactly like these.

Good luck, John

Attached picture Luft_Stag_forestry_Bayo_gr_a.jpg
Posted By: Hubertus Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 10/28/2009 08:59 AM
Great collection. Thank you for showing them. Could you flash some of the blades?
Sincerely,
HUBERTUS
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 10/28/2009 02:01 PM
John:

No wonder I cannot find a minty example of one of these... you have them all.

My eyes are sore from staring...

John
Posted By: seany Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 10/30/2009 10:18 PM
cheers john i will try to find one soon
What happened to my posts?
Oops,wrong forum!!! Red Face
Interesting that there are no service frogs-all dress frogs-and no knots. Did they all come that way?
I`ve seen these mostly with the brown frog or no frog at all. Paul Zaya and I both have "out of the wood work" examples with the brown frog and no knot.
Still in shock over John`s big group shot. OMG!!
Unfortunately, most of mine are not direct vet purchases. I did get one with a brown dress frog attached, and a bullion portepee. Many of mine came without a frog, so I chose to put a brown frog one, because it's supposed to be Luftwaffe..so, mine is a skewed sample.

Attached picture potrpee.jpg
Not meant to be critical in any way. One would think an issue piece, as the numbered ones seem to be, would also have an issue frog. Also, these have never been proven to be Luftwaffe so I was also wondering about the knots found with any direct vet purchases as the true purpose of these scarce pieces remains a question.
Just as an addition-in the old days I saw one with an early small oval Eickhorn TM.
Here's one from Brian Maederers site, so I have no idea on the provenance:

Attached picture Maed_$2395.jpg
Posted By: Mr Crow Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 02/26/2011 01:12 AM
I wonder if, regarding these pieces, the grip retaining screws should be made of any particular metal ie brass or nickel. Many thanks John
So--Where are all these fakes we keep hearing about?
Posted By: JoeW Re: Luftwaffe Forestry Bayonet Waffen Loesche - 09/08/2011 06:46 PM
It has been awhile since I read up on these. What is the connection to the LW? LW acceptance on the blade or something? Waffen-Loesche was a commercial dealer in Berlin.
© Your new forums