UBB.threads
Posted By: Billy G. Baden Knot Or Something Else? - 03/21/2015 02:18 AM
I've had this knot for maybe 12 years. Based on the size, I'm inclined to say it's for a sword but you never know. The quality of manufacture & in-hand feel lead me to believe it is pre-1945. Any ideas on what it's original purpose was for?

Attached picture Baden Knot.jpg
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Baden Knot Or Something Else? - 03/21/2015 02:20 AM
This is where it resides now, on a perfectly mint Baden Polizei Seitengewehr. The grip is 3 rivet but the WKC maker mark it has would imply 3R production, from what I understand WKC Baden bayonets had 3 rivets the Weimar zeit throughout the period these bayonets were discontinued. Its blade is 17" as opposed to the longer, 21"/22" models that are sometimes seen.

The knot's color scheme makes me think it's from Baden but then a gain, perhaps it's for something else. One thought I had was it could be for a Baden Feuerwehr sword but that is little more than conjecture. Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Attached picture Baden Obverse.JPG
Posted By: ORPO Re: Baden Knot Or Something Else? - 04/12/2015 03:23 PM
Billy,

The knot does look similar to the Baden knot. I don't know if it is the same or not though. I have a couple of gold base color knots that I have never been able to figure out including a gold and blue one made in the Troddel format.
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Baden Knot Or Something Else? - 04/14/2015 02:33 AM
The gold & blue sounds like an interesting combination & something I've actually seen before once or twice. Didn't know what it was for then & I still don't.

The knot on my Baden Polizei does look similar in its color scheme but the knot size makes me think s�bel but that's just speculation.

Many thanks for your thoughts George, they're always appreciated.
© Your new forums