UBB.threads
Posted By: DG Question About Dagger Importing - 02/04/2010 12:55 AM
I have been thinking about purchasing a dagger from Canada and having it shipped to the US, however all of the information (or lack thereof) about possible duties or tariffs is making my head spin. Can anyone tell me approximately what I would expect to pay on a $1,000 dagger imported from Canada to the US?

If the amount is too much I will then look at finding a suitable dagger in the states.

Thanks!
Dan
Posted By: Herr Wolf Re: Question About Dagger Importing - 02/04/2010 06:01 AM
I bought from Canada twice. A few days later the package was delivered to my door. Never had to deal with customs. Maybe I was just lucky? I am sure Lakesidetrader has some insights...
Posted By: Jim W Re: Question About Dagger Importing - 02/04/2010 02:16 PM
I would say I have had at least 100 packages shipped to the US from out of country and I recall I paid $23.00 duty for a sword.

On the other hand, make sure the dagger had no ivory or it won't get here.

In short, the US does not exercise its right to charge duty on personal packages.

But, that does not mean they will not charge you.
Posted By: DG Re: Question About Dagger Importing - 02/04/2010 11:49 PM
Thanks for the help guys, makes me feel better about buying from Canada and not getting a real nasty surprise from customs. I actually have been looking at Paul's Lakesidetrader site but all the stuff I want (and can afford) has been sold. His seems to have a great reputation so I hope I can find something I like.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Question About Dagger Importing - 02/05/2010 01:31 AM
DG:

Paul is a great guy to deal with. Talk to him about minimizing your risks of buying and shipping to the States.

You will not be disappointed in any way.

John
Posted By: Herr Wolf Re: Question About Dagger Importing - 02/07/2010 05:34 AM
i second that. I bought from Paul before and I will again.

DG: Just buy the dagger you want.
Posted By: DG Re: Question About Dagger Importing - 02/07/2010 02:27 PM
Thanks for the information. I have been checking Paul's website and contacted him, he responded right away. Based on the reputation Paul has I will continue checking in with him and his site to see if he has anything I might like to buy.

The dagger I wanted is already sold, so the search continues.

I appreciate all of the help.

Dan
© Your new forums