UBB.threads
Posted By: N.W. Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/04/2006 07:29 PM
Is this the real deal? I doubt it, personally. I bought off a reenactment buddy who picked it up in the '80s I believe. Like I said, neither of us think it's real, but I'd like your guys' expert opinions.
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/04/2006 07:34 PM
Well, crap. How do I post large KB pictures? It's telling me the max size is 75kb, and all the pictures are above 200. Help?
Send them to me I can resize the pictures for you. [email protected]
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/04/2006 08:00 PM
Just sent them...3:00pm Central
N.W. go into the computer forum and there is an easy resizing tool there.Also if you have XP it tells you how to get windows program. Cool
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/04/2006 08:25 PM
Here we go, thanks for the bit about the resizing tool

Attached picture Ring_1.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/04/2006 08:25 PM

Attached picture ring_2.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/04/2006 08:26 PM

Attached picture Ring_3.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/04/2006 08:26 PM

Attached picture Ring_4.jpg

Attached picture Ring_5.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/04/2006 08:27 PM

Attached picture Ring_6.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/04/2006 08:27 PM

Attached picture Ring_7.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/04/2006 08:28 PM
That's the best I can get them right now with my camera. It doesn't like to focus on things within 3 inches....
Closer pics are needed, but so far the engraving looks off to me.
Already got them posted, sorry for taking so long in trying to do it I had family over. Wink
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 01:03 AM
Thanks for trying!
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 01:06 AM
I'll try taking closer pictures, but I think this might be the best that they'll get. The frustrating thing about this ring is that I've had it next to a real one and I can't tell the difference. Though honestly, I think it's just a damn good fake. Anyone else with an opinion please let me know.
Thanks!
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 01:33 AM
And if anyone wants larger picks in order to see better detail, ask and I'll e-mail them to you.
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 01:34 AM
Kirchen, you have the pictures I e-mailed you, what do you think?
Wolfram , N.W.,,welcome to the forum...

N.W.,,try just a close crop on your large photos to just the ring,,that should cut down the kb..Also,is there a first initial before the last name and how does the date appear exactly.. , G.
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 04:08 PM
The inside reads: S.lb. Koch 9.11.36 H. Himmler
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 04:20 PM

Attached picture RR1.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 04:52 PM

Attached picture RR2.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 04:53 PM

Attached picture RR3.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 04:53 PM

Attached picture RR4.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 04:54 PM

Attached picture RR5.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 04:54 PM

Attached picture RR6.jpg

Attached picture RR7.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 04:55 PM

Attached picture RR8.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 04:55 PM

Attached picture RR9.jpg
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 04:56 PM

Attached picture RR10.jpg
Look like a fake Wink
not up on the ring but after 14 yars of not smoking i can taste that lucky strike from England Big Grin
Posted By: jds Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/05/2006 10:20 PM
If is is a fake it was cast directly from a mold made from an original. It is a 40's style ring and is either a on off fake or a replacment for a lost/worn 1936 awarded ring.

Engraving looks deep to me for a 40's made ring and the oakleaves look a little off center on the main band, at least in one or two of the photos. I would really have to judge the detail with it in person or with some super quality photos.

I have some doubts, but I can not dismiss this one yet. It is not typical of any of the fakes that I recall seeing.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/06/2006 12:21 AM
I vote fake. I can't put my finger on it but, something is odd. Might be the deep seem line.
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/06/2006 01:55 AM
I agree with the idea that it is a replacement ring. It just doesn't have the wiskers from being awarded in '36 not to mention the design of being a 40's ring. It is a peculiar ring to say the least.
well if real it would be a reissue,the dates correct,Koch is a popular name..

But the engraving, top view and wide seam are troubling...Are the nose and a slight top portion of the teeth look like they have a lot of wear? maybe partially erased ,smoothed out?
2 N.W.
Make clean FOTO
its very poor quality foto
If you email me very close-up photos of the runes, I can tell you for sure whether it is real or fake. Having seen a very close-call ring recently, I can say that it is pretty much impossible to judge a ring via photos, unless the runes are very closely photographed.
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 04/24/2006 05:41 PM
Got it. I'll try and pull it off.
Posted By: creed Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 05/04/2006 05:51 AM
i knew that i had seen this ring or one just like it before.i had to go back and look through files to find it but i believe this one is a first run copy.i will try to post pics.
thanks
mark
Posted By: creed Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 05/04/2006 06:04 AM
pic

Description: pic1
Attached picture ring001.jpg
Posted By: creed Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 05/04/2006 06:07 AM
you will notice on this ring the date is "1936" instead of just 36.i will convert and post the other pics i have.these pics are from the axis history factbook.
thanks
mark
* "i will convert and post the other pics i have.these pics are from the axis history factbook." *

Hi Mark, please do...Hows your famous ring doing Smile...,G.

Posted By: creed Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 05/05/2006 02:15 AM
hey g,
yeah i still have the schwarz ring.i might actually sell it someday,dont know yet?anyway,i believe these are really early copies from the same mold but different engraving.i'll let you post the others if you want.maybe we'll be able to see the similarities in the 2 rings.
thanks
mark
has anyone considered PIECL? iVE SEEN A FEW OF THEM and he made a few with wide seams..the big thing is here guys one of the runes does not have the appropriate die flaw.That is the problem.I have seen engravings that are this deep and real,I agree with craig,if he got photos of the runes perhaps he would agree with me,that this is indeed a reproduction,and not a reissue.Here is the question,how much did u pay,if the person knew what it was u know what u should have paid,if not,and it was lots less chances also are this is repro,and possibly made by piecl..Craig,wanted to say hello there,my NIGHT OF THE LONG KNIVES RING IS HERE FINALLY,WORTH EVERYTHING I DID TO GET IT,THANX FOR YOUR OPINIONS GUYS..SSGRANDSON
THE swastika is not clean and clear,and its kinda fat,should be very clean and sharp cornered and not fat.another reason,and that seam,geeez is it huge,more filler than anything,and that is not the usual of ottos work,very clean was his seams,this one looks like so much filler in there as it may hve just not been cut right? ssgrandson
I've seen a few Berthold Peichl postwar made rings...The ones I saw appeared to have a seam and be 2 piece but in reality was a one piece cast ring....

On seams,,, hey wow they are almost like women! Some thin and tight and some a little wide,,and some when your looking for one you just can't find. Big Grin Wink..
Gaspare is correct - many seams are virtually invisible, others visible, and still others, very sloppy (usually this is a good indication of a resized ring).
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 05/11/2006 04:55 PM
Thanks for all your comments, and please keep them coming! Sorry I've been absent from my own thread for a while, I've been rather busy with guard stuff and schooling.

The man I bought this from, an old friend of mine named Nick, picked this up at a gun/millitary show back in the early 80's from an elderly lady, where she got is is still a mystery. Anway, Nick always had it on display with other german relics at displays he and I did at public reenactments. After a few years of me always playing with the thing and asking about it, he offered to sell it to me for whatever price I felt was fair because he didn't know if it was real or just a good copy (he's taken it to many a dealer who always get as bewildered as you folks about the thing.) I gave him three hundred for it and a promise to give him half of whatever it sells for if the thing turns out to be real someday. He told me to never mind with the money, "just tell me a good story" he says.

Well that's how the ring came into my possesion. Craig, I finally took some pictures of the ring close up and all, but like I said, I still have a crummy camera so this is about as good as they're going to get. Thanks again for the comments.
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 05/11/2006 05:32 PM
Say, anyome know anything about a website called ? Some of the stuff seems legit, others seem like fakes. Checkout the ring on this link

I thought potmarks on the ring were a sure sign of being cast. Maybe I'm wrong?
Your opinions
Posted By: N.W. Re: Please help me with this ring...SS Honor ring - 05/15/2006 08:12 AM
hmmmm....screwy links not showing up.....

Craig,
Did you get those pictures yet? Hope you can make clear of this whole matter from them. Thanks.
This is a very nice looking ring. The date engraving looks funny, especially the "11". Notice the bottoms of the "11 are squared off, instead of pointy. The Himmlr signature on early rings, from what I've seen, seems wider than later rings and the strokes have a beveled appearance. On the later signatures, the engraving appears thinner. On later rings, especially, the Himmler signature is thinner than the name and date. The ring looks nice but it makes me nervous.
© Your new forums