UBB.threads
Posted By: lach470 Two piece RAD private purchase buckle - 01/07/2007 03:51 AM
Hi Guys...Just acquired this one...Not in mint shape but it's in pretty decent condition and it's my first private purchase buckle example. Note that private purchase buckles were two piece buckles with the roundel attached by four tabs. This example is unmarked but is probably an Overhoff made buckle.

I have a question for you guys at the same time: I've seen the majority of RAD buckles being the stamped one piece issue...and these types of two piece RAD buckles as well...BUT: were there ever RAD buckles that were two piece manufactured but with a WELDED roundel instead of the four tabs?

I have yet to see such a buckle! If you have one ... please share!

Thanks!

Cheers!

Rob

Attached picture front.JPG
Posted By: lach470 Re: Two piece RAD private purchase buckle - 01/07/2007 03:54 AM
The back of the buckle...

Attached picture back.JPG
Posted By: lach470 Re: Two piece RAD private purchase buckle - 01/07/2007 03:57 AM
Finally ... the prong cut.

Cheers - and again - if you have a two piece RAD buckle that has a welded roundel...please share some pics! I'd love to see that!
Thanks!
Rob

Attached picture OLC_prongs.JPG
Posted By: Raymond Re: Two piece RAD private purchase buckle - 01/07/2007 06:58 PM
Very nice. I don't recall ever seeing a 2 piece RAD buckle. I checked the ones I have and are all 1 piece.
Posted By: lach470 Re: Two piece RAD private purchase buckle - 01/07/2007 08:48 PM
Hi Raymond. I think most of the RAD buckles were one piece manufactured. These one piece buckles were re-issued as the RAD was a "in and out" type of organization. Guys did their time and then moved on in most cases. The equipment was returned and re-issued to the next "crew".
In the case of the two piece buckle...these were privately purchased buckles that the owner got to keep.
I just haven't seen welded two piece buckles - only the four tab attachment kind.
I wonder if there are other types of two piece RAD buckles
Cheers!

Rob
© Your new forums