UBB.threads
Dear collector friends,

I am trying to find an explanation for the current higher supply of HJ�s. Just look at the� for sale� sections of the popular forums like ours: plenty HJ�s are offered at very attractive prices� but sell very slowly� Also many of the dealers seem to have a more than usual offer when it comes to HJ�s.

Anyone has some thoughts or explanations about/for that?

I personally believe that it has to do with the recent enter into the market of several hundred HJ�s by a well known collector. Those of you who attended the latest MAX show can witness about that happening.

Here in Europe, at the recent shows, I have not seen the same phenomenon, at the latest Ciney fair, 10 days ago; nice HJ�s were- like always- a very touch catch.

Anyway, I believe that this is a temporary situation, so I would suggest that the serious HJ collector should benefit from it as long as this situation persists.

On the other hand, it would be fantastic if another �Saving private Ryan� like movie would leave the Hollywood studio�s�

Best greetings,

Herman
Posted By: vintagetimenow Re: Abundant supply of HJ�s in the US? - 11/10/2010 12:25 AM
The only HJ collector I know that had several hundred HJs would be Russell Neighbors.(and you Hermann!) Did he sell his collection?
Posted By: Ian Hayes Re: Abundant supply of HJ�s in the US? - 11/10/2010 03:00 AM
I am not sure why there are so many. But I have often wondered how many shiploads of German stuff has crossed the ocean since 1945. It must have been many tons! I like my little share! Ian.
Posted By: jodagger Re: Abundant supply of HJ�s in the US? - 11/10/2010 04:54 AM
DD Harris has plenty for sale, and he seems to be adding to his inventory almost weekly.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Abundant supply of HJ�s in the US? - 11/10/2010 04:55 PM
So does lakesidetrader, Paul Hogle.

John
The rumor that I have heard is that Mr. Joe P. would have "dumped" (maybe that expression is exaggerated) a few hundred HJ's on the market�

Anyway it is HJ shopping time for the US and Canada collectors among us!

Unfortunately, here in Europe we pay import taxes when we buy stuff across the ocean. I had an HJ comming in from the US just yesterday and had the pay 10 EUR (14 US$) to the mailman before getting my package... And that was for an indicated value of 95 US$ only... Anyone has a sollution to avoid these extra costs?

Best greetings,

Herman
Posted By: nickn2 Re: Abundant supply of HJ�s in the US? - 11/10/2010 11:45 PM
GET THE SENDER TO PUT ANTIQUE KNIFE (WHICH IS TRUE EVEN IF LESS THEN 100 YEARS OLD AS THEY ARE COLLECTORS ITEMS) GIFT AND A VALUE OF $30
IN THE UK THESE ITEMS ARE NOT VATABLE AND SHOULD ONLY BE TAXED AT 4%???
Posted By: will jones Re: Abundant supply of HJ�s in the US? - 11/11/2010 12:08 AM
Hi Herman , import taxes are a killer, here in the uk it's a bit hit and miss , sometimes they get right through with no issues and no extra cost, I have had a lucky escape though, I bought a blade from paul at lakeside last year and i firmly believe the only reason i got it at all is because paul puts your blades in nice dagger bags , uk customs had ripped the box open and forgot to seal it up again !!!!! , for that pleasure i had to pay 24 gbp ! was'nt happy at the time but at least it's here now , i too look at all the stuff over the pond and drool at the prices (especially dress bayos) , but not a lot we can do about it really , unless of course we can persuade the oversees seller to claim it as a gift!, he he he
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Abundant supply of HJ�s in the US? - 11/11/2010 09:36 PM
Into Canada, I have had pretty good success when I asked that blades be marked as 'ornamental wall hangings' or 'theatrical props' and valued at less than $100.

The risk, of course, is that if an item gets lost then you can only claim the declared amount form the seller or the insurance or whomever.

John
Posted By: Luko Re: Abundant supply of HJ’s in the US? - 11/11/2010 10:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Herman V. (aka Herr Mann)

Unfortunately, here in Europe we pay import taxes when we buy stuff across the ocean. I had an HJ comming in from the US just yesterday and had the pay 10 EUR (14 US$) to the mailman before getting my package... And that was for an indicated value of 95 US$ only... Anyone has a sollution to avoid these extra costs?

Best greetings,

Herman

I don't know where in Europe, but here in Czech I've paid only one customs fees. Only if the packet has very high insurance we are paying taxes. I don't know how you, but I have only the best experiences with USA/Canada post - none packet were lost or damaged at all.
You must ask the seller and send packet as a gift and not merchandise.

Best, Lukas.
© Your new forums