UBB.threads
Posted By: Serge (aka Wagner) Aluminum Klaas Army - 04/08/2007 11:14 PM
This one came in while I was away. What can you Army Wizards tell me about this one? All opinions welcome! Wink -wagner-

Posted By: Degens Re: Aluminum Klaas Army - 04/09/2007 12:17 AM
Are you sure thats an aluminium?, typical Klaas 2nd style eagle, hole in the tang is trait of this company used in the blade plating process and unique scabbard bands. Klaas throughout, very nice.
Posted By: Serge (aka Wagner) Re: Aluminum Klaas Army - 04/09/2007 01:24 AM
Hi Degens.
No I'm not sure it's aluminum, the color and the weight of the pommel and crossguard "seems"
like it is. Here is a couple of more photos.
Thanks, wagner

Posted By: Ed Sunday Re: Aluminum Klaas Army - 04/09/2007 02:11 AM
If they are light in the hand, they are aluminum.
Posted By: wotan Re: Aluminum Klaas Army - 04/09/2007 08:27 AM
To me crossguard and pommels also have the aluminium look. What I can see from the pics I think the fittings once were silverd and the silvering has gone to time. Silvering mostly did not hold well on the aluminium fittings. The fittings do not have the "never silvered, satin aluminium finish look" to me.
Nice to see the fragments of the former inventory part number of the grip. There was a discussion on it. You rarely see them, most times the number was erased during the fitting process.
Posted By: janjan Re: Aluminum Klaas Army - 04/09/2007 08:34 AM
Hi

What weight should have a aluninium made pommel and a crossguard?
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Aluminum Klaas Army - 04/09/2007 11:11 PM
I agree with Wotan probably a pot metal that has lost its silvering none the less not a bad looking dagger. janjan I for one do not know the weights of an aluminum crossguard or pommel.
Posted By: Dave Re: Aluminum Klaas Army - 04/09/2007 11:23 PM
I think that weight of components will be the key to figuring out what metal you are looking at.

Certainly the early brass, later metals, and aluminum would weighin differently

Dave
Posted By: Serge (aka Wagner) Re: Aluminum Klaas Army - 04/10/2007 07:37 AM
Ed, it is lightweight. Could be Aluminum but it could be potmetal as Wotan and Tom suggest.
Wotan, yes, the inventory numbers on the grip was a pleasant surprise. I had read that thread with a lot of interest. First example I have seen that on.
Thank You gentlemen for all your input.
Regards,
-wagner-
Posted By: Ed Sunday Re: Aluminum Klaas Army - 04/10/2007 12:25 PM
Pot metal is heavier than aluminum.
Posted By: sokol Re: Aluminum Klaas Army - 04/10/2007 05:47 PM
As I see it's potmetal. The hole in the tang says it's mid-late period of production.
Posted By: tobau Re: Aluminum Klaas Army - 04/10/2007 07:33 PM
Typical Klaas , i see all signs.For me that fittings are aluminium .Very nice early dagger.
© Your new forums