UBB.threads
Posted By: militarymania SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 10/24/2011 07:47 PM
would like to hear opinions on the authenticity of this cuff link which i have owned since the 1980's...thanks in advance for all comments,,,Robert

Attached picture 022_22.JPG
Attached picture 020_20.JPG
Attached picture 021_21.JPG
Posted By: SteveRay Re: SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 10/25/2011 11:15 PM
I can't tell you anything but you might post it at www.warrelics.eu in their SS forum. Bob Hirtz would be able to answer your question.
Steve
Posted By: jeff Re: SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 10/29/2011 07:28 AM
I have no answer ,but these have been reproduced for years & still are. if these are good ,then fairly rare. hoping you get a good response. jeff
Posted By: Barry Brown Re: SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 10/29/2011 02:20 PM
Originally Posted By: jeff
.....these have been reproduced for years......

Repro set from the UK circa 1968. I have worn them at social functions for over 40 years, only one person ever noticed the W-SS motiff.

Attached picture Resize of IMGP0437.JPG
Posted By: jeff Re: SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 10/30/2011 08:13 AM
Barry , know what you mean.... almost no one even mentions my ss honor ring I wear.
the few comments , interesting ring with a skull on it. even taking it off so some one can look it over = still little comments.
dumbing down of the younger generations = ??
jeff
Posted By: militarymania Re: SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 10/31/2011 04:00 AM
mine is original,vet acquired,,,what junk is produced today
Posted By: Barry Brown Re: SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 10/31/2011 04:39 PM
Pictures from a reference on the Gahr workshop.

Attached picture Resize of Scan2.jpg
Attached picture Resize of Scan.jpg
Attached picture Resize of Scan1.jpg
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 10/31/2011 09:31 PM
A difficult area. It would have been simple during the TR period, or thereafter, to have SS buttons converted to cufflinks
Posted By: Gaspare Re: SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 11/01/2011 04:24 AM
you got it Grumpy,,most were made from buttons.. As far as SS most like the type Craig shows here:

http://phpstack-500133-1583587.cloudwaysapps.com/ubbthread...true#Post240973

If you seach on the Ring forum there are a couple good topics with cufflinks to view.
Always remember to change the topics view date on ALL the forums here to 'from all dates' , there are many more back pages on each forum then what is listed when you first sign on.

http://phpstack-500133-1583587.cloudwaysapps.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=253789#Post253789
Posted By: jeff Re: SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 11/01/2011 11:09 AM
Barry, thanks for posting these photos !
over the years I've seen tons of these , various styles & quality.
assumed most not pre 1945.
Robert's might be good ,but we all know fakes were made soon as the war ended.
jeff
Posted By: Barry Brown Re: SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 11/01/2011 07:15 PM
Jeff, the cufflink pictures from the 1993 Meyer and Schild secondary source reference that I posted do not,unfortunately, have any checkable primary source attribution given to them by the authors. (Some other items in their book do have a checkable source, e.g., the photos are taken from the 1938 and 1939 applied arts and handicraft exhibition catalogs held at the House of German Art in Munich.) However, the cufflinks pictured by and described by the authors in the post-war photos I posted are attributed to a private owner. The authors further imply that the links were a Julfest gift from RFSS, the date 21.12.39 being engraved on the reverse. They do appear to be of higher quality than the fakes we have all seen over the years.
Posted By: jeff Re: SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 11/02/2011 10:20 AM
thank you Barry for the additional information !
if the allies weren't in such a hurry to bomb the entire country ,some of this information (correct info.) might have survived.
again ,thanks for sharing the photos & info.
god only knows how many original versions /styles were made pre-1945.
jeff
Posted By: Seiler Re: SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 11/02/2011 04:01 PM
Again we have ANOTHER "Himmler Birthday Cufflinks"
Expert amongst us
Posted By: JoeW Re: SS cuff link for forma wear jacket - 11/03/2011 01:53 AM
Barry, that is the problem with the Gahr book: attribution. But the Mannschettenknopf was a standard present from Himmler as listed on his gift lists. Problem being no description was given. I always look at close-up of hands of senior SS officers to see if one is peeking out from under the end of the jacket sleeve. I have one of Daluege with his arms on a table and a cuff link is visible, but just vague enough to confound me.
© Your new forums