UBB.threads
Posted By: AussieDave Spanish Cross - Opinions??? - 06/29/2008 05:42 AM
Got this recently from someone I usually trust. However, I know these are extensively faked, and I am interested in what you guys think.

Attached picture Spanish_Front.JPG
Posted By: AussieDave Re: Spanish Cross - Opinions??? - 06/29/2008 05:44 AM
Here is the back. It was obviously silver plated at some stage.

Attached picture Spanish_Back.JPG
Posted By: AussieDave Re: Spanish Cross - Opinions??? - 06/29/2008 05:50 AM
Here is the only marking. To my poor eyes, it looks to be L.58, which according to my sources, is most likely to be Artur Jokel & Co, Gablonz, although L/58 is also credited to Rudolf Souval, the Austrian, who quite happily continued to produce badges using original dies long after the war finished (Talk about a red flag!)

David!

Attached picture Spanish_Mkg.JPG
Posted By: AussieDave Re: Spanish Cross - Opinions??? - 06/29/2008 05:53 AM
The low resolution photos hardly do this badge justice. The level of detail is very high, with very crisp lines throughout.

The eagles wings do not touch the maltese cross
Posted By: AussieDave Re: Spanish Cross - Opinions??? - 06/29/2008 06:07 AM
Looked at the marking more closely, and it appears to actually be L/58, or perhaps L/52. I'll have to get a magnifying glass to be sure.

David!
Posted By: militarymania Re: Spanish Cross - Opinions??? - 06/29/2008 12:55 PM
Frown i have my doubts about this one,,,i have yet to see what i thought was an original Spanish Cross with the down turned eagle's tail feathers and the wings touching the cross,,i believe that all reference books on this item show the opposite features of the one that is posted here,,,my 2c
Posted By: Pepland Re: Spanish Cross - Opinions??? - 06/29/2008 01:10 PM
I'm afraid this IS a postwar Souval piece. Note how the eagle's wingtips are not soldered to the cross arms. The pin and catch are also giveaways. There well may be early down-tailed versions of the Spanish Cross (the case for the next of kin version often shows down-tailed eagles on the cover)but this is not one of them.I tried to start a thread on WAF on these, but no one was interested.
Posted By: Swordfish Re: Spanish Cross - Opinions??? - 06/29/2008 05:11 PM
Pep,
If a repro, you should have it placed in the repro section on WAF premium members area. The reference is becoming quite useful as collectors have been contributing.

t
Posted By: derjager Re: Spanish Cross - Opinions??? - 06/29/2008 06:10 PM
It is a repro. We also have a repro section open to all members.
http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/800097573/m/8450022484
This example has been added. Please all feel free to add to it.

--dj--Joe
© Your new forums