UBB.threads
Posted By: Ross Kelbaugh (SS-Researcher) Name translation needed - 01/10/2008 12:20 AM
Hi All:

Got a name written in S�tterlin Schrift
that I need translated. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Ross Kelbaugh

Attached picture name.jpg
Posted By: Roland Scheck Re: Name translation needed - 01/11/2008 03:13 AM
if you noticed no one has even attempted to answer your question...because it is very hard to make out the first or the last name.
The moment I take a guess some one will jump in and ridicule my attempt...so I will for somebody more qualified...Roland.
Posted By: Roland Scheck Re: Name translation needed - 01/11/2008 03:17 AM
BTW I do not think this is a german name even though it is written in Suetterlin...
how about Kres for a first name.
Posted By: Roland Scheck Re: Name translation needed - 01/11/2008 03:23 AM
Oh, did I forget to tell you, that scribble is scribble in any language...but Suetterlin lends itself to scribble more than any other...
"Gelhmit" perhaps? Come on sombody...tell me how wrong I am and maybe we will figure it out.
Posted By: Roland Scheck Re: Name translation needed - 01/11/2008 02:40 PM
my wife...the smart one in the family just educated me...the comma means the the first word is the last name...duhhh!...Kraus perhaps...Helmut Kraus she thinks...so I have been trumped.
Posted By: Roland Scheck Re: Name translation needed - 01/11/2008 04:55 PM
almost sure now that is says Helmut Keis

no other opinions?
I cant believe it

Roland.
Posted By: ivbaust Re: Name translation needed - 01/11/2008 07:03 PM
The second word is definatively his first name, which is Hellmut.

The first word is his family name. I am not sure, but I would guess it is Roes.

Attached picture Sütterlin.gif
Posted By: ivbaust Re: Name translation needed - 01/11/2008 07:11 PM
Try this one out. Type the name "Roes Hellmut" on this website:

http://www.suetterlinschrift.de/Englisch/Write_your_name.htm

Take the "s_2".
Posted By: Roland Scheck Re: Name translation needed - 01/11/2008 07:13 PM
if it said Roes it would be spelled R�ss, and I dont think that is it...not wanting to start an argument...just observing that in german the letters "oe" would become the umlout �.

Roland
Posted By: ivbaust Re: Name translation needed - 01/11/2008 07:17 PM
Not always. There are names which are written "oe" ... even today ... check this one out. It�s a German medical company with the name "Roeser"

http://www.roeser.de/english/index.php

... so no "�", but "oe" Wink
Hi All:

Thank you all very much for your suggestions! I was not even in the same ballpark with my attempts. The name comes from a SS unit roster. The good thing is that the entry also includes his birthdate. Armed with that, I can check all of your suggestions in the central index of SS names in the National Archives, which lists first and last names with birthdates (no SS numbers unfortunately), and might have a chance of decipering this. So all possibilities for the last name are welcome!

Ross Kelbaugh
www.ssdaggers.com
© Your new forums