UBB.threads
Posted By: Berra77 SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/13/2012 08:19 AM
Hi guys

I was offered to buy this dagger what do you think about it ?

It looks very nice to me but I am not 100% sure abou the handle are the eagle and roundle ok?

I am a new collector so any info and help would be greatly appriciated

Thanks

Attached picture new.jpg
Attached picture 5.jpg
Attached picture 7.jpg
Attached picture 4.jpg
Attached picture 3.jpg
Posted By: vintagetimenow Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/13/2012 02:16 PM
Eagle looks fine, need a close up of the SS Roundel. Grip looks a little matte, may have been repaired or refinished. Need a close up of the blade etching to make sure not laser etched.
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/13/2012 04:04 PM
Agree on the grip, but it does look like an original.
Posted By: Berra77 Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/13/2012 05:35 PM
Great thanks for the info

This is the best I could do on the motto.

Thanks

Attached picture ____1.jpg
Posted By: kreta1961 Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/13/2012 07:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Berra77
Great thanks for the info

This is the best I could do on the motto.

Thanks

Looks fine to me.

Gerd
Posted By: A J Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/13/2012 08:50 PM
Are the Rooster daggers a known repro?Or are you guys just being wary I recently got castigated on here for politely asking why someone wanted detailed photos of my M7/72 SS to be honest I am glad that due to a mix up detailed photos of my dagger didn't get into Ralf's book thereby giving the forgers the info they need
Posted By: kreta1961 Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/13/2012 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: A J
Are the Rooster daggers a known repro?

Yes AJ.

Gerd
Posted By: A J Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/14/2012 08:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up on that Gerd still learning after 40 years in this hobby
Posted By: 777 Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/15/2012 06:06 PM
Are the Rooster daggers a known repro?Or are you guys just being wary I recently got castigated on here for politely asking why someone wanted detailed photos of my M7/72 SS to be honest I am glad that due to a mix up detailed photos of my dagger didn't get into Ralf's book thereby giving the forgers the info they need

Every reference book is a great help for the forgers (sad but true). Wittmann "helped" them once too. The better pictures of the certain dagger the more likely the daggers by this maker are being faked.
Anyway, the dagger in discussion looks OK to me (I compared it to mine - looks the same). Fakers can duplicate the etchings, but they are never able to get the correct SS roundel, correct eagle and the right crossguards.
Posted By: [email protected] Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/15/2012 10:08 PM
Hi dagger pictured looks okay from images provided. Handle does look a little "flat black" as mentioned but could be okay....Overall a decent looking period dagger, cheers, Ryan
Posted By: Berra77 Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/19/2012 09:45 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

Not sure that I follow or understand A.J comment "Rooster daggers a known repro" ?? what are we discussing here?

All the best

Bjorn
Posted By: A J Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/19/2012 11:10 AM
Bertram's logo on the blade shows two cockrels or roosters
Posted By: 777 Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/19/2012 11:21 AM

It seems to be obvious, but why "known repro"? Could you tell some more about the Bertram repros?
Posted By: A J Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/19/2012 03:48 PM
777 I was unaware the rooster daggers had been faked but the response Vintagetimenow suggesting maybe a laser etched motto made me ask the question which Gerd answered for me
Posted By: Dave Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/19/2012 11:33 PM
I saw what I thought was a fake Bertram at a show a couple of years back. Not a laser etch but just a blade with a poor imitation trademark.

Also, real "flat" black grips are found occasionally, mostly on daggers that have been stored very well but not handled. I think it is a light oxidation of the original finish. The bad flat black grips are usually new looking with few or no marks and an open pore look. They also have much sharper contour lines. See this thread:

http://phpstack-500133-1583587.cloudwaysapps.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=117793#Post117793

BTW - Gembruch has also been faked.

Dave
Posted By: kreta1961 Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/21/2012 06:04 PM
Originally Posted By: 777

It seems to be obvious, but why "known repro"? Could you tell some more about the Bertram repros?

Hi Adam,
email sent!
Posted By: kreta1961 Re: SS Dagger - C.Bertram - 07/21/2012 06:10 PM

It shows a hen and rooster.

Gerd
© Your new forums