UBB.threads
Posted By: Johnny V. Wire Brush Marks - 01/03/2006 04:42 PM
Hello all,
I posted many pics. under the army, luft, naval page in the post "mystery 2nd Luft" of a dagger that I recently acuired as a gift. It checks outOK ecxept that some dumb bastard put a wire wheel to it, to shine it up, you know how great they look when there all shiny right??? Roll Eyes
Anyway, the dagger is nice (even personalized) but I would love to get rid of those brush marks on the fittings. Any suggestions? I think I know the answer, anything strong enough to remove the scratches will remove detail on the fittings as well, but I thought I would ask the experts.
Thanks
John
Posted By: Skyline Drive Re: Wire Brush Marks - 01/03/2006 05:22 PM
Can you post a photo?
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: Wire Brush Marks - 01/03/2006 05:35 PM
I think Vern has the necessary equipment to polish the blade back out so check with him. BTW: Is the Ferrari a 348?
Jim
Posted By: Johnny V. Re: Wire Brush Marks - 01/03/2006 11:20 PM
Here is a link to the post I made concerning the dagger. The brushmarks are on the fittings not the blade. I erased the pics on my computer so I hope the link works, if not it is in the army, luft, naval page titles "mystery 2nd luft".
The car is a Ferrari 308 gtsi

http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/886093573/m/9470036793
Posted By: Vern Re: Wire Brush Marks - 01/04/2006 02:35 AM
It is possible to hand polish and remove most of the brush marks. Once the detail is gone, it's just gone. I have seen fittings in worse shape but that's probably not much help Wink

Attached picture BlackLuft.jpg
Posted By: Johnny V. Re: Wire Brush Marks - 01/04/2006 03:15 AM
Yikes!!!
Well that makes me feel better. Would semi-chrome work for this or will I need somting with a little more bite, like brasso???
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wire Brush Marks - 01/04/2006 03:21 AM
I use a wire wheel from time to time. There is certainly a place for it in cleaning daggers. For example, if there is lots of rust on a steel scabbard in the stippled area, there is nothing that removes the dirt and rust better and quicker than a wire wheel. You wouldn't want to use one with hard steel wire but with soft brass or steel. The scratches you describe were done by a very rough wheel used in the construction or logging business.

If you have deep scratches in the blade or steel fittings you might have to use a soft sanding wheel, then a wheel loaded with blending compound, and finally a polishing wheel.
Posted By: Vern Re: Wire Brush Marks - 01/04/2006 08:41 AM
I think you would need more bite, along the lines of 600 or 400 grit. Use it on a block and work gently taking a little at a time. Then try a little Tripoli on a slow soft wheel with light pressure. Tripoli will give you a smooth clean surface without the bright shine.
Posted By: Johnny V. Re: Wire Brush Marks - 01/04/2006 01:52 PM
Thank you for the info. VERY helpful. I will get the polish soon and give it a try. I do not have a polishing wheel so I assume I can be patient and do it by hand?
Posted By: Vern Re: Wire Brush Marks - 01/04/2006 03:20 PM
Sure, it will just take longer Wink
© Your new forums