UBB.threads
Posted By: manthos Ancient art !!! - 11/19/2007 01:28 PM
Hi all. :-)

well I collect ancient art. mostly from the Greek/Hellenic period, but all so Roman and danish Neolithic stoneage.

Well, thats me :-)
Posted By: paulbear Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/19/2007 04:06 PM
i ALSO HAVE SOME ANCIET ITEMS greek Roman coins love to collect oil lamps but all is hard to legally come by any more in N AMERICA

paul
Posted By: Frederico Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/19/2007 06:56 PM
Please show us some pictures!
Posted By: manthos Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/19/2007 07:43 PM
of course :-)

here you go

http://tinyurl.com/yw4qsa

http://tinyurl.com/ywhj3t

I am a poor man, so my collectin my not be so impressive :-9
Posted By: Mikee Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/19/2007 08:43 PM
Hi manthos,

For some reason I can't view the links posted, anyone else having trouble viewing?
Vejle is my city of choice in all Denmark!
Posted By: Frederico Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/19/2007 09:13 PM
I think your collection looks quite impressive. And very nice displayed, like in a museum.
Posted By: manthos Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/19/2007 09:51 PM
Hi Mikee :-)

have you ever been to Vejle ?? And why ???

tell tell tell ??? :-)
Posted By: manthos Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/19/2007 09:51 PM
Thanks Frederico :-) that made my day :-)
Posted By: Mikee Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/20/2007 02:38 AM
manthos,
I can view your collection now. Very nice collection and thanks for sharing it with us.
Yes I have, but for the why, I will discuss in private only. The bog people always facinated me. Can you still see the 23 skulls of robbers in the wall at St Nikolai's church? I think we need to bring that practice back. lol.. And is Haraldsk�r Woman known as Queen Gunhild also still in the church? I love visiting the museum's, iron and bronze ages, Vikings etc. A lot of history in your neck of the woods. Thanks again
Posted By: manthos Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/20/2007 06:46 AM
Mikee, He he yes they are all still there :-)

I am an amateur archaeologist, so i get to meet alot of the history.

http://tinyurl.com/23odqy

As for the "why" you where in Vejle, well thats none of my business :-)
Posted By: Mikee Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/20/2007 04:24 PM
manthos,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry, please I didn't mean it in that way. Maybe one day we can talk about it over a good Danish beer.
Is that you in the picture digging for relics? Please keep us up to date whenever you find something.
Posted By: manthos Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/20/2007 05:44 PM
Hi agian.

I am not "digging for relics" hi hi hi ;-)

I am excavating a ancient neolithic settlement :-)

But yes, that me :-)
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/20/2007 05:55 PM
Manthos:
Posing as an "amateur archaeologist" in the United Stats will get you some serious jail time due to our Antiquities Act. This is to prevent any further unearthing of Native American sites.
Jim
Posted By: Frederick J. Stephens Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/20/2007 11:00 PM
I am very impressed with the first photograph that you presented. May we see some better images of the vase on the top shelf on the right hand side of the display cabinet - it appears to have some strange Nordic emblem that I have difficulty in recognising.

Thank you

FJS
Posted By: Robert H. Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/20/2007 11:11 PM
very very nice, I wish to own anyday such a helmet. Many people don't know the market prices for such things these days.

Attached picture Korinthischer_Helm.jpg
Posted By: jager Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/20/2007 11:12 PM
Lovely pieces of Neolithic art. It looks like some pieces may be much older than Neolithic period.?? I collect North American Paleo, so always good to see someone with the same archaeology/collecting interest. Thanks for sharing and keep us informed of any great finds. Yager
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/21/2007 02:29 AM
The vase on the top shelf appears to have a form of the swastika to me.
Jim
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/21/2007 04:30 AM
Manthos,,welcome to the club,,many members of poor men club here! Big Grin

But your collection is rich in history. Some excellent finds you have there...,G.
Posted By: manthos Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/21/2007 05:09 AM
Hi jim m.

I am not "Posing" as an Amature archaeologist :-) I am one. I work for 3 different Museums. So I am in no way on the wrong side of the the law. Quit the opposit, as the Museums are very happy for my help as there funding is low, and Unpaid help alows them too get more sites excavated.

Best, peter
Posted By: manthos Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/21/2007 05:12 AM
jim m, you are quit right :-) ! the Bowl is a Cypriot iron age bowl (950 BC) with swastikas. this was not unusual.
Posted By: manthos Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/21/2007 05:15 AM
jager, thank for the kind words,

I would love to se some pics of you collection too ?
Posted By: manthos Re: Ancient art !!! - 11/21/2007 05:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Robert H.:
very very nice, I wish to own anyday such a helmet. Many people don't know the market prices for such things these days.

Wow, The prise for such helmets are VERY HIGH !

But I to, would love to have one :-)
Posted By: Frederico Re: Ancient art !!! - 12/23/2007 08:29 AM
Robert,

The helmet you have shown an image of, do you know where one could find an original one, and how are prices?

Regards,

Frederico
Posted By: manthos Re: Ancient art !!! - 12/24/2007 10:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Frederico:
Robert,

The helmet you have shown an image of, do you know where one could find an original one, and how are prices?

Regards,

Frederico

Hi Frederico.

They dont sell very often.

And if you think the price for a mint DD SS helmet is high, then you wont believe the price for one like this :-(

Best peter
Posted By: Robert H. Re: Ancient art !!! - 04/12/2008 03:22 AM
You can buy them of course when you behind and interested in this stuff like a detective, just check out the Guttmann collection. And it is since some years till 2010 frequently partly offered. Also check out Herman Historica, some where in California is another person dealing with these items. But for a nice Roman helmet you get also a Porsche for.
© Your new forums