Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Guys - this is a must have. The best dagger book I came across.

Mike

P
P
Just got mine-expensive as has been said before but how do you put a price on excellence?-Congrats and thanks to all concerned!

Paul

FUR EHR' UND PFLICHT BIS HERZ UND KLINGE BRICHT
Finally the book arriwed today Wink

Well packed in. Many thanks.

The reading time has begin Big Grin

We are always interested in to hear feedback.
Maybe we can use something in the next Volume about ss-daggers.

Sven Georgi

as Tom Johnson use to say:
"...the story is really theirs to tell" now we will do...
R
R
still waiting for mine , hey paul your not to far from me can i borrow yours ?

V
V
Book just came in the mail today can't wait to start reading tonight Paul

W
W
I got mine ordered today , cant wait to check it out.

Got mine a couple of days ago. A nice book with some new information. Noted a few mistakes in the content but many mistakes in the English language. Also, many of the photos are not up to the latest standards of clarity especially considering the high price of this book. Recommend review of future books by someone who's native language is English.JMO

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.
Thanks Houston,
the german author had no influence in the english translation job.
But an good hint for our next volume.

regards
Sven Georgi

777 Offline
quote:
many of the photos are not up to the latest standards of clarity

Hmmm, the latest standards must be really high...

No other reference on 3rd Reich daggers shows more and better photos in full color from first to last page...
But regarding to Houstons annotation: we have published many pictures from mutual collectors all over the world who had shown there treasures first time in a book.
Thats why pictures differ sometimes in quality and layout.
But as I wrote...There are MANY and really good pictures and all in full color...

Regards
sven Georgi

L
L
quote:
Originally posted by Houston Coates:
Got mine a couple of days ago. A nice book with some new information. Noted a few mistakes in the content but many mistakes in the English language. Also, many of the photos are not up to the latest standards of clarity especially considering the high price of this book. Recommend review of future books by someone who's native language is English.JMO

TOTAL agreement regarding the translation which, for the price of the book, $157.85, is really terrible. If I were to write a review of the book, I would suggest that buyers be 100% aware of the fact that this book, while nice, needs a more professional translation.
I think whoever was responsible for the translation should have made darn sure it was done correctly, the FIRST time!

The book is oki . Great stuff we collectors need for upgrade the knowledge. "Tumbs Up for the book team ""

157.85 US is nothing compared for all daggers we buy year by year Wink
And......there is not so many books about the SA daggers on the marked either !Im happy with the book and all the work Ralf & the team have done for making it ready for collector world IMO.

GREAT WORK.

Regards LH

L
L
quote:
157.85 US is nothing compared for all daggers we buy year by year

LH 600, not that you are incorrect regarding the lack of available SA reference material, but the fact remains there are translation errors that just should NOT be in a book at this price. As far as the price being "nothing", you are correct except for the fact that to some of us,$157.85 IS "something" indeed. Try being a medically retired Deputy Sheriff on a fixed income on for size and then you will see that price is high. My dagger buying days are long gone. I have what I have and that's it!

Take pg 83, Crossguards for example. There are many internal makers marks listed but nothing as to who the makers were. I could comment on the actual construction of the book also but won't.

When such a noted author as Mr Johnson praises a book, I would expect it to be darn near perfect!
Maybe some collectors might wish to wait for Mr Wittmanns book? I feel I should have!

Lloyd.
I understand your position very well.
We cant all be 100% all the time ? There is some points i have noted myself in the book, - but what a heck...some "small wrong error" dont really disturb me so much.

I have all Wittmans book and several of the Th Johnsons. They are good stuff all of them...BUT there is some points there too.. missing out if you understand what i mean ?

Time goes fast and New info are "popping" up at forums and magazines very often. I can live with some "errors" but im sure Johnsons and other authors can`t make a book 100% Perfekt Wink

Have a nice day Smile
Regards LH

L
L
quote:
Originally posted by LH 600:
Lloyd.
I understand your position very well.
We cant all be 100% all the time ? There is some points i have noted myself in the book, - but what a heck...some "small wrong error" dont really disturb me so much.

I have all Wittmans book and several of the Th Johnsons. They are good stuff all of them...BUT there is some points there too.. missing out if you understand what i mean ?

Time goes fast and New info are "popping" up at forums and magazines very often. I can live with some "errors" but im sure Johnsons and other authors can`t make a book 100% Perfekt Wink

Have a nice day Smile
Regards LH

You as well LH!

I have all of Wittmann's books, gifts as it were and a few of Johnson's as well. I began collecting in 1955, was medically retired from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Dept in 1993 and have only bought one dagger since then and this is the first book on SA's that I have seen.
Regards!

quote:
Originally posted by lloyd:
quote:
Originally posted by LH 600:

Have a nice day Smile
Regards LH

You as well LH!

I began collecting in 1955, was medically retired from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Dept in 1993 and have only bought one dagger since then and this is the first book on SA's that I have seen.
Regards!

Take care my friend Wink We have to be happy for all books of daggers came out Wink Like you say...it`s few of them

R
R
ok my two cents.We are destroying someones hard work here .I got the book the packing was wondeful.The book itself was very good.I did a quick skim of it I did not read every page yet but i will but If it is not perfect I really don't care.I think from what i saw it is a very good book and i say to those responsable job well done.To those that don't like it sell it on ebay and move on to something else.

This discussion ist not really fair to Ralf Siegerts work. Because it`s based on the "high" price of the book. And maybe the translation is not PERFECT which also was not done and controlled by Ralf Siegert.The book itself is an really nice job! This reference is the best in SA-daggers avaiable and is a must for an 3rd Reich dagger collector.
And as noted in this thread -Yes Tom Johnson knows 100% for what kind of book his Name is good for! FOR THIS ONE -IT IS!
So many people all over the world asked
for an english volume. Now an collector had investet a lot of money and time in getting the rights and do the translation for the collector community. Expensive or not, it`s an offer for those who can`t read the German original.

In my opinion it is one of the best References regarding to 3rd Reich daggers ever written. Thats what is important.

Regards
Sven Georgi.

W
W
I got mine today Adam (777), I like it so far and I second Reichstall's comments above ..thanks

I Have seen Ralfs SA book, but I will wait to see TWs SA book then I will compare, but on what one book lacks the other will make up for,, so the 2 should work well together, as an overall reference on the subject. I do like TWs writing though. Best Larry

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
L
L
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried B:
I Have seen Ralfs SA book, but I will wait to see TWs SA book then I will compare, but on what one book lacks the other will make up for,, so the 2 should work well together, as an overall reference on the subject. I do like TWs writing though. Best Larry

Larry, all in all, looking at the construction of the book itself, I mean the "nuts and bolts" with creaking hinges, etc and the poor quality of the text material, TW's book should be spectacular in comparison. Packing? Hey, it was fine BUT packing in and of itself does NOT justify the cost for a book with many pics of blades without text. German text on many pages and some of that, apparently from the German edition, in RED, MUST have meant something important but NOT "decoded" in this volume.
Again, IF you have been fortunate enough to NOT buy this book, DON'T! Save your green for Tom's book!

Lloyd, I am a "Window shopper first", I do comparisons, I am not one to be the first on my block to have the latest fashion. Fads are for line standers. TW showed me his copy of Ralfs book, and I have seen everything in it, So for me I will wait!!, others have different opinions. This is a great hobby but not all of us out here (including me) are fortunate enough to get the "top shelf" stuff,, so I am content with what I have now. If something is within my reach then I will buy it. Some of my reference books have been 2nd hand buys but still has the first hand info. Best regards Larry

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
I find you can never have enough (good) reference books etc... I have bought books for even one picture in them or a paragraph... Notice I say (GOOD)reference.. I have never been (tight) when buying reference as it can save a huge amount of money and after many years of collecting I forget things. Regards: James

R
R
I for one think its a great book , yeah its not perfect but it answered a few questions for me . An yes i will be buying TW book as well .has any one got any idear of its release date ?

L
L
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried B:
Lloyd, I am a "Window shopper first", I do comparisons, I am not one to be the first on my block to have the latest fashion. Fads are for line standers. TW showed me his copy of Ralfs book, and I have seen everything in it, So for me I will wait!!, others have different opinions. This is a great hobby but not all of us out here (including me) are fortunate enough to get the "top shelf" stuff,, so I am content with what I have now. If something is within my reach then I will buy it. Some of my reference books have been 2nd hand buys but still has the first hand info. Best regards Larry

Larry, I too am not as fortunate cashwise to be able to afford "top shelf" stuff either but I love this stuff.
My very first purchase of a dagger was an SA. It had no paint on the scabbard so I spray painted it gold....until I found out it had to be brown! I repainted it and baked it in the oven. Came out fine too! Back in those days, there were no defintive books on daggers. Then Atwood came out and that book was gold to me. I still have that volume and of course many more accumulated over the eons.
I thought this book would be the ONE on SA's but I must say that very little material is top notch. I DO like the tang markings section and have taken my few SA's apart and now have the info on those markings on my file cards.
James, I forget all the time and you are 100% correct that money can indeed be saved with the correct book...NOT Atwood as it turned out on my wonderful "Naval Assault Forces" that I was able to pick up for a reasonable price.
I look forward to Tom's SA book. Anyone have an idea as to when it will come out?

R
R
Heres my two cents. The book has very good information. Thats all. The pictures were cheap matte type. Nice photography but the quality of the book is absolutely second grade. My book arrived after a month in a nasty dirty semi torn box. It aslo appeared to have been wet at some point. When I opened the box and saw the book I was instantly ****ed. It looked like it was bent on purpose. from the side it was shaped like a banana. I had bo bend it the other way in order to try to staighten it out. The binding looks so flimsy that it gives the impression that it will break apart easily. The cover was just plain printed cardboard. The list goes on and on.
Personally I like the content of the book. I do not like the german photocopies with no translation. If it were not for the fact that it takes soooo long to arrive I would exchange it for a better quality example.
With all the hooplah that was said about this book I expected something along the lines of perfection. This book is clearly not even close. If anyone wants to know what I expected just go to any big bookstore and pic up and atlas of human anatomy or anything. you will automatically see the diference in paper, binding, weight, and overall quality.
Raul

L
L
quote:
Originally posted by rgaraymd:
Heres my two cents. The book has very good information. Thats all. The pictures were cheap matte type. Nice photography but the quality of the book is absolutely second grade. My book arrived after a month in a nasty dirty semi torn box. It aslo appeared to have been wet at some point. When I opened the box and saw the book I was instantly ****ed. It looked like it was bent on purpose. from the side it was shaped like a banana. I had bo bend it the other way in order to try to staighten it out. The binding looks so flimsy that it gives the impression that it will break apart easily. The cover was just plain printed cardboard. The list goes on and on.
Personally I like the content of the book. I do not like the german photocopies with no translation. If it were not for the fact that it takes soooo long to arrive I would exchange it for a better quality example.
With all the hooplah that was said about this book I expected something along the lines of perfection. This book is clearly not even close. If anyone wants to know what I expected just go to any big bookstore and pic up and atlas of human anatomy or anything. you will automatically see the diference in paper, binding, weight, and overall quality.
Raul

Raul, your "two cents" is indeed very valuable! The quality is POOR to say the least. I won't be opening my copy often as the "crack" sound on opeing tells me this binding is bull ca-ca and just won't last!
I sincerely hope that those who have been fortunate enough to NOT buy this book continue to wait. THIS is NOT the book!

777 Offline
quote:
My book arrived after a month in a nasty dirty semi torn box. It aslo appeared to have been wet at some point. When I opened the box and saw the book I was instantly ****ed. It looked like it was bent on purpose. from the side it was shaped like a banana.

Raul, each book is packed SOLID and sent on next working day, so if your parcel came damaged and after a month, BLAME THE POST. If you were "instantly ****ed" (whatever it means) why didn't you contact the seller first reporting what's happened? Did you complain at the post for what THEY have done to your parcel? But, if you prefer to make it public, I can officialy offer you another free copy if you'll send your "banana shaped" book back to me.
For your information, dear Raul: the cover is finished with special expensive paper covered with matt laquer, not a "printed cardboard". If you like glossy things, you may not like it, de gustibus non est disputandum...

For general information: the landscape format of such heavy book will ALWAYS cause problems, no matter how good binding is. The pages are stitched on the short side and even if book stands on the shelf the weight of 300+ pages will work as lever against the upper part of binding. The binding of my german copy also doesn't look good after normal use (shall I whine about it on the forum?).

I'd like to thank the vast majority of guys here for good response, people like you help the things go forward. Ralf Siegert and Sven Georgi work on second book and they need your support.

To those who hate the book I'd like to say: it is your right to express your opinion, even if fellow members who truly enjoy the book do look like ignorants in your eyes. Criticism is easy and enjoyable to some, so enjoy.

To those who think about buying the book: use your own brain, don't let anybody tell you what to do ("don't buy this book, buy that book").

Sincerely,
:Adam:

I came home from my work at sea,there was my copy of the book.I am HAPPY with it.

Regards
Carlos1
This book is a must for SA dagger collectors!Great work.

It is very nice book. I don't know what else you need in SA/NSKK reference book. If you don't like it too much, maybe you can write your own better book and will publish it...

Lukas.

I cannot say anything about the english translated book, as I bought the german original language copy.

Also, I do not collect, and have not owned a SA dagger in the last 20 odd years, but this book is a must for all political dagger collectors.
The information along with the many many excellent pictures of practically all makers make it THE BEST reference-book currently available on SA/NSKK daggers.

What may or may not be released in the future, is of no concern to me right now as none other is available, and the contents will be anyones guess...
Here and now is what matters, to me atleast.

Ralf, great work, and I look forward to THE reference from Ralf on SS daggers.

Best,

Tor-Helge
L
L
quote:
Originally posted by 777:
quote:
My book arrived after a month in a nasty dirty semi torn box. It aslo appeared to have been wet at some point. When I opened the box and saw the book I was instantly ****ed. It looked like it was bent on purpose. from the side it was shaped like a banana.

Raul, each book is packed SOLID and sent on next working day, so if your parcel came damaged and after a month, BLAME THE POST. If you were "instantly ****ed" (whatever it means) why didn't you contact the seller first reporting what's happened? Did you complain at the post for what THEY have done to your parcel? But, if you prefer to make it public, I can officialy offer you another free copy if you'll send your "banana shaped" book back to me.
For your information, dear Raul: the cover is finished with special expensive paper covered with matt laquer, not a "printed cardboard". If you like glossy things, you may not like it, de gustibus non est disputandum...

For general information: the landscape format of such heavy book will ALWAYS cause problems, no matter how good binding is. The pages are stitched on the short side and even if book stands on the shelf the weight of 300+ pages will work as lever against the upper part of binding. The binding of my german copy also doesn't look good after normal use (shall I whine about it on the forum?).

I'd like to thank the vast majority of guys here for good response, people like you help the things go forward. Ralf Siegert and Sven Georgi work on second book and they need your support.

To those who hate the book I'd like to say: it is your right to express your opinion, even if fellow members who truly enjoy the book do look like ignorants in your eyes. Criticism is easy and enjoyable to some, so enjoy.

To those who think about buying the book: use your own brain, don't let anybody tell you what to do ("don't buy this book, buy that book").

Sincerely,
:Adam:

Adam, it is a fact that when one has a vested interest in something such as this book for instance, the view as to completeness, etc is skewed toward saying the book is all fine, which of course, it is NOT!
"Critcisim" in this case is indeed valid when a person sees the poor quality of both construction and contents. I could easily note such deficiences on say the Feldherrenhalle dagger. Two pages of brief text and two pages of pics of the dagger and two pages with the dagger in wear. One pictorial page appears to be a sellers description!
The old adage, "it takes money to make money" should have been taken into account when the German edition was translated into English. A knowledgeable translator should have been employed and a proof reader's services obtained which is apparently not the case here.
I would suggest that if a new book is being produced for the English speaking market, my recommendations should be followed.
To those who have just gotten their copy, take your time deciding IF this is truly "the" SA/NSKK book you really want to have. I think that after you put some time into reading this volume you will note that there is much more that could have been done to make the book worthwhile!

R
R
its also a fact that you cant please everyone all the time . to collectors i say .this book is a must for everyone who has sa/ nskk s in there collections 1

R
R
OK I will say this again. The content and information that is found within the pages of this book is very good. I am pleased with the collection of important information inside the book. Having said that I will then be blunt. You need to have all types of criticism in order to achieve better things in life. Everyone loves to hear good things said about their work but not everybody welcomes negative (constructive) criticism. The truth is that the quality of the book is not good. You said in a sarcastic written tone that I like glossy things and that I am whining. Well, glossy book covers are traditionally equivalent to quality. Matte is less expensive to have made. This is a known fact. Also the simple fact that you call my observations "whinning" on a public forum is your attempt to ridicule my opinion which is my God given right. In this manner what you are achieving is silence through intimidation and ridicule so you will get only positive feedback. I am attaching some pictures of what I expected in quality. Cheers, Raul

PS I am not fighting or insulting anyone here so relax.

100_4664.JPG (86.6 KB, 281 downloads)
R
R
more

100_4665.JPG (90.6 KB, 280 downloads)
R
R
Glossy page of the atlas

100_4666.JPG (104.7 KB, 278 downloads)
R
R
the sturdy binding of the atlas

100_4672.JPG (73.13 KB, 279 downloads)
R
R
My "banana" book after much bending.

100_4669.JPG (96.93 KB, 277 downloads)
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,995 SS Bayonets
1,762,209 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,188 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
Frog question.
by Dave - 04/19/2024 09:49 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/19/2024 09:03 PM
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/19/2024 06:59 AM
Study and learning materials
by Stephen - 04/18/2024 07:41 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,039
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (sellick8302@rogers.com, Documentalist, ed773, seany, Dave, C. Wetzel-20609, Texasuberalles), 904 guests, and 104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod