Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#333679 12/02/2017 01:10 PM
E
ed773 Online Content OP
OP Online Content
E
Hello all,
Just a quick post to let Marvin know, and everyone else, I did not mean to upset anyone or cause the post to stop.
Very very hard for me to give a opinion on weather to repaint a SS scabbard without seeing the dagger in question.
I suppose a junker in really bad shape with a beat parts dagger wound not matter. But the dagger pictured as example should not be repainted.
I personally do not think you should ever clean a collector coin, or reblue or sand and redo a collectable firearm. SS daggers fall in the same slot.
Sorry Marvin you do not have to go to the corner and pout. But post a picture of the actual dagger in question, and you will get honest opinions.
Thanks and take care
Ed

Ed and members,

I meant no offense to anyone with my question about restoration. I was trying to be funny with my last post but missed the mark. I like Ed and very much enjoy reading his interesting posts. I don't really understand why the thread got locked when I see threads where people make personal attacks against each other, seemingly without consequences and those don't get locked. It seemed like an interesting topic worthy of debate and further discussion. Alas, It would seem that the topic of restoration is verboten... smile

Happy to see everything is ok again.

BTW I would also like to see the dagger in question.

Cheers,

Marc

E
ed773 Online Content OP
OP Online Content
E
Marvin

Been on the road a few days, work.
Not sure why it was closed.
No harm here.
Still would need to see the scabbard to give my 2c.
But if it was close to JR's, I'd say no.
Ed

Something to think about regarding period History...that just isnt any old black paint slapped onto an SS dagger..its a chosen black paint of that time period to represent a culture...if the scabbard is repainted with a local current time period black paint..you destroy the idea of the color.

JRs example shows usage and ownership...which mightily expresses the character of the original carrier as being very active. Hide that fact..you have just a Chained SS dagger..with no story.

Even the most smallest of spidering on a scabbard screams volumes of the past. It would be a large injustice to the dagger and history that this dark cult represented in terror.

Regards Larry

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
D
Online Content
D
Very well said Siegfried B

E
ed773 Online Content OP
OP Online Content
E
Yes Yes Yes
Ed

Last edited by StarvinMarvin; 12/09/2017 02:50 AM.

I completely agree with Siegfried's point. I Would never personally nor would I encourage anyone else to dissemble, clean or otherwise mess with a nice dagger. It would seem however that opinions on the subject have changed considerably over the years. Apparently in the early days of this hobby it was standard practice to completely disassemble, clean and do preventive maintenance.

On page 11 of Fredrick Stephen's reference "Reproduction? Recognition!" Stephens states "Many collectors are reluctant to subject there acquisitions to a total strip down scrutiny, a naive attitude that should be avoided. Disassembly of an item should be undertaken as a matter of routine course inspection as would be undertaken when an item is checked for rusting or other deterioration".

On page 40 he states (while captioning a photograph of the word "Germany" stamped into the tang of a fake blade). "total justification for stripping down any dagger - is on the tang".

Stephens was so convinced that every dagger should be completely dissembled not only for an initial inspection to determine authenticity but also for "routine maintenance" that he had a set of specialty tools made for the specific purpose which he shows photographs of on page 13.

Last edited by StarvinMarvin; 12/09/2017 03:57 PM.
Mr Stephens exactly quotes the fact what he has stated on the right side of the page 1st paragraph explaining the dexterity and material usage during the times. I could not agree more.....which makes more of a danger to say that everyone should be equipped with take down tools..including the novice.

Not all collectors have a fine hindsight in regards to being careful. Nickel screws can mush very easily if forced to turn ..worse yet..the stripping of screw threads. One needs to know the limitations of all these types of daggers and as the years march on so does age and the weakening of these fittings. Sometimes a naive attitude may be the best course for those with common sense knowing their own limitations in mechanics.

A total take down is not for everyone ...and for those who do not care to learn..their reward would be a total depreciation in destruction of their dagger. Not everyone should be driving cars on the road either...this we see daily.

To say that everyone should get tools to take down daggers and to disassemble them..is asking someone whether experienced or not to go into an old house remove the floor boards and walls..to clean out the dust and cobwebs from within..and placing all the floor boards and walls back into position with the original nails and fasteners. On a routine basis..how many times can this be performed before the stress of the 1st time removal catches up later on after the 10th time?

Im one to carefully remove topical grime from the blade and treat it with Renwax,,.. leaving alone the rest of the dagger.
Also depending upon the condition of the dagger and the horror of the runner marks on the blade..i will see if the side scabbard screws are removable..if they refuse to turn..then its where I stop ..and it is what it is. Some dagger scabbards I am able to take down and clean the runners and put them back..NEVER to reopen them again...the 2nd time since their initial production.

True knowledge lies within the person who researches ....armed with that knowledge the collector is able to identify through detail without a total take down the authenticity of their edged weapon

The paint on the scabbard pales greatly compared to the paint on an old house....the house must be kept in good condition as we live inside a house and not an edged weapon.

A dagger take down should be measured by a persons mechanical ability IF THEY FEEL they have to take one down..to perform this maintenance,.. other seasoned collectors feel it should not be performed. This is the balance of future discussions which as time marches on..the frequency of take downs should lessen..before something breaks.

Regards Larry

Last edited by Siegfried B; 12/10/2017 12:57 AM.

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!

Moderated by  Dave 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,510 SS Bayonets
1,761,992 Teno Insignia Set
1,130,945 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Small pennant question.
by Dutchman - 04/07/2024 08:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Overslept a development???
by Luftbud - 04/16/2024 01:03 AM
Bulgarian Brannik youth knife - real?
by wotan - 04/15/2024 06:46 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 10:17 PM
CLAY TOBACCO PIPES
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/14/2024 06:25 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,667
Posts329,017
Members7,516
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
10 members (Stephen, Dave, Documentalist, Nietzsche, Dean Perdue, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Don Scowen, Seppi, Pat from France, Coyote_Kyle), 378 guests, and 102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod