Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello colleagues, a salesman showed me this German saber and which says it is from the First World War, by the manufacturer "WEYERSBERG KIRSGHBAUM & CIE, SOLINGEN" is known to be of German origin, but I would like to know your opinions about it, if you could give some more information about this piece, to what period and army it corresponds and if you see it a good piece for a collection and if you see a red flag, I appreciate your comments and help.

Thanks for your attention.

It's a heavy cavalry saber. WW1 or so.
Probably has the year of manufacture on the spine
of the blade near the handguard.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your reply Texasuberalles, I will ask the seller about the year of manufacturer that you indicate, more or less what should be the year of manufacture?

WW1 or shortly before.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much Texasuberalles, your answers have helped me to learn a little more about this piece.

Nice saber. smile Most likely pre-WW 1/wartime from what I'm seeing it appears to be a Saxon pattern EM saber for the horse mounted artillery. Does it have any other markings on it than the maker's marking? Best Regards, Fred

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Fred Prinz - FP for your answer, I have asked the seller if he can also see the year of manufacture in the backbone of the blade near the handguard as I commented Texasuberalles as well as other brands but I still have not received a response from the seller . Can this saber be said to be German or Prussian? Which definition would be more correct?

Originally Posted By: Vassago
Thanks Fred Prinz - FP for your answer, I have asked the seller if he can also see the year of manufacture in the backbone of the blade near the handguard as I commented Texasuberalles as well as other brands but I still have not received a response from the seller . Can this saber be said to be German or Prussian? Which definition would be more correct?

Saxony was one of the larger German states that made up Germany in the Imperial era. Prussia was the largest, there was also Bavaria, Wurttemberg the smaller states etc. With some of the German states following Prussia's example in swords, or not instead using their own patterns. And that being the case here because the Prussian artillery saber is similar but different (the markings themselves are another variable). That said, German Artilleriesabel IMO would be the more accurate description.

PS: Because its Army was smaller the Saxon swords overall are harder to find. Best Regards, Fred

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Every day I learn more in this great forum, many thanks for your clarifications.

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP
Nice saber. smile Most likely pre-WW 1/wartime from what I'm seeing it appears to be a Saxon pattern EM saber for the horse mounted artillery. Does it have any other markings on it than the maker's marking? Best Regards, Fred

Fred Prinz - FP the seller has just answered me that in addition to the brands of manufacturer has a crown and the letters RC, I do not know if that can tell you something more of the piece, also tell him if he kept the year of its manufacture in the thorn dorsal of the blade near the handguard and has told me that it has no mark there of any year.

Originally Posted By: Vassago
Fred Prinz - FP the seller has just answered me that in addition to the brands of manufacturer has a crown and the letters RC, I do not know if that can tell you something more of the piece, also tell him if he kept the year of its manufacture in the thorn dorsal of the blade near the handguard and has told me that it has no mark there of any year.

Typical I think of Saxon military purchase/issue swords some had markings more like the Prussian ones with dates etc. Others did not. In any case, it appears to be a legitimate period German Army saber from the Imperial era that is not that easy to find. Best Regards, Fred

Vassago Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much Fred Prinz - FP for your attention, your comments and that of the other colleagues have helped me a lot to know a little more this saber, a cordial greeting. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,472 SS Bayonets
1,760,278 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,745 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (AntonGrabbe, Seppi, Dave, AndyRose, Documentalist, Tanker, Nietzsche), 458 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod