Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
ado Offline
Sure looks legit to me when compared to other examples. So either someone has the original hallmark or made a copy of one...or it was period made.

Where are other examples of this ring?

I have just received this ring, seller has blown up these photos i think to the limit where you are able to see every small little detail on this ring. And as i look at this ring in hand it is impossible to see writting inside the stamp or second silver mark in there but when you look at the photos here it is so full blown and zoomed to the smallest detail...very very hard for this ring to be faked reproduced, which proves my point why no one is posting any photos here or any other "fake" or "original" of this same ring example like i asked before!?

G
G
ado, I'm collecting since the 70s. At first I thought this was a fantasy pattern. But then 10 years ago or so I saw 2 period line drawings. Both interwar period or Freikorp era take your pick.
As for seeing others,,I've only seen one I thought was original and it was not for sale! Had the same hallmark by the way..

That is a perfect hallmark. Stamped in etc. SO,,either someone has an old original one,,or a new one was made or [??]

D
D
For clarification, I meant that the hallmark looked legit when compared to other known examples, IE, it doesn't look like a fake mark like some Frey examples among others. Sorry for any confusion.

ado Offline
Hi Gaspare , I know you mean well and i respect your knowledge and years of collecting.
Just your statement here that you have only seen one of this ring example says a lot and when i have seen this ring for sale i knew of the pattern but in the years of collecting i have never seen ring of this pattern come up for sale, the detail was there the patina was there two hallmarks looked great and there was absolutely no reason for me not to hit that "buy it now" button. I can easily return the ring and get my money back but no way, i know that i have a great and extremely rare ring in my collection now!

Thank you Gaspare on your support
Ado

IMG_5074.PNG (121.88 KB, 342 downloads)
IMG_5070.PNG (141.79 KB, 339 downloads)
IMG_5069.PNG (147.74 KB, 341 downloads)
IMG_5068.PNG (127.41 KB, 340 downloads)
IMG_5067.PNG (146.62 KB, 336 downloads)
Last edited by ado; 04/27/2017 02:44 AM.
G
G
happens all the time,,some will like,,some won't.. Some over cautious, some over confident.. IF it wasn't bank breaking money,,sure why not buy and study..

. IS that the box it came with??... Worth a shot, checkout/search the name in box lid!,and IF you find them,,some actually will have some old records. I found a place that still had some of its wartime hand drawn jewelry designs so you never know!!!!

Originally Posted By: Gaspare

. IS that the box it came with??... Worth a shot, checkout/search the name in box lid!,and IF you find them,,some actually will have some old records. I found a place that still had some of its wartime hand drawn jewelry designs so you never know!!!!

Hello Gaspare, this one is NEVER a ring box. It has been either for a woman watch or a bracelet or something this large.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
ado Offline
Interesting!

That we will pick and choose on which rings we will find the cast marks.

IMG_5103.JPG (80.97 KB, 267 downloads)
IMG_5100.JPG (51.67 KB, 268 downloads)
IMG_5102.JPG (49.49 KB, 271 downloads)
M
OP Offline
M
I have to disagree here. So this is a known pattern that likely sat in the jeweler's display as an upgraded example (stones set in eyes) for a LONG time, probably bottom of a box for even longer. Had it been purchased (note the tag).. it would have been cut, sized, jeweler hand polished/hand finished- so the rough spots seen here would be polished out.

IMG_6215.JPG (72.92 KB, 255 downloads)
ado Offline
The Tag ring proves nothing it can easily be added to any ring, whenever.
Where this ring set for a long time is questionable as it still does not have enough patina like mine does that started this thread so it is acceptable on my part to question these spots that i have circled in red. Green area around eyes can as well be just a glue residue where someone has added black glass eyes to the ring.

I just wonder where did my ring set in order to get patina like that.

M
OP Offline
M
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect yours, ado. In my honest opinion, however- odals ring is a wonderful piece, and I would certainly be proud to own it or one like it someday. smile

ado Offline
ado, I'm collecting since the 70s. At first I thought this was a fantasy pattern. But then 10 years ago or so I saw 2 period line drawings. Both interwar period or Freikorp era take your pick.
As for seeing others,,I've only seen one I thought was original and it was not for sale! Had the same hallmark by the way..

We have all heard Gaspare said that for over 40 years he tought this pattern was fantasy ring and then what happend, the ring surfaced. And then no one had ever on this forum in history posted ring like mine for review and first time ever ring like this shows up here we say its fake because someone has pointed out these same spots that i have pointed out in this ring as well, but yet this ring is good and original.

IMG_5100.JPG (51.67 KB, 481 downloads)
IMG_5102.JPG (49.49 KB, 479 downloads)
IMG_5107.JPG (134.16 KB, 478 downloads)
Last edited by ado; 04/28/2017 09:16 PM.
G
G
ado,,really, best to keep the apples with apples and the oranges with oranges...
IF you question Odals ring you really should point it out on its topic [if it has one]..
- yours,,well if a dot is just a piece of debris show it,,or a prior photo did not accurately show something reshoot and show etc..

Wotan,,I got this weird ring box. Slightly smaller than Ado's,,it does not have a slot for a ring,,it has like a raised wall with back open and sprung. So that if you pressed a ring over it , it would stay!..Can't get to it quickly but eventually will and post..

Originally Posted By: ado
Interesting!

That we will pick and choose on which rings we will find the cast marks.

Not worth any comment for me.

�Eine gewaltt�tige, herrische, unerschrockene, grausame Jugend will ich. Jugend muss das alles sein. Schmerzen muss sie ertragen. Es darf nichts Schwaches und Z�rtliches an ihr sein. Das freie, herrliche Raubtier muss wieder
aus ihren Augen blitzen."
ado Offline
This ring is called fake just because of someone who failed to buy and someone who gave the wrong advise to potential buyer and now this ring has to suffer here because of that reason...that is all. I can post 100 more pictures and make another 100 comments and it will not make any change because all those who said that this ring is fake will never admit that they were wrong. Yet i am receiving private messages how the ring is original.

IMG_5179.PNG (83.29 KB, 443 downloads)
IMG_5180.PNG (90.02 KB, 441 downloads)
IMG_5181.PNG (88.9 KB, 441 downloads)
Last edited by ado; 04/29/2017 07:22 PM.
Probably best not to drag the matter on and on then - You are not going to change doubters minds, they will not change yours.

Maybe try starting afresh as WAF or something [where the results will likely be about the same].

Only thing I can say, don't think the case has any connection to the ring at all, good or bad.

Doug
ado Offline
I will drag this on and on and as long as it takes because i am not the one who posted my ring here to be attacked by those who have never owned it, or held it in their hands! and know nothing about it!

If this ring is Fake! Why then no one can post any picture of another Fake like this and let's compare (for what i have asked now at least 10 times) where is it show me!?

If you cannot show me Fake then show me Original, but you can't do that either. As no one has it, they only have opinions which in this case are destructive and not productive!

This thread was started while the ring was for selling, so the starting thread had nothing to do with you.
Your buying of this ring has nothing to do with other peoples opinion about it.

And.....the box you got with.
Nice and maybe period, but as Wotan mentoned, no way that this is the box for the ring or a ring box at all.

You still have to learn a lot.
About this stuff we collect and how to talk with people that have no bad intensions rather want to help.

For me there is nothing more to say about this ring and the box.

Last edited by odal; 04/30/2017 03:45 PM.

�Eine gewaltt�tige, herrische, unerschrockene, grausame Jugend will ich. Jugend muss das alles sein. Schmerzen muss sie ertragen. Es darf nichts Schwaches und Z�rtliches an ihr sein. Das freie, herrliche Raubtier muss wieder
You are doing a disservice to yourself and community with stubborn rants.
You post something then it is public record and open to opinion and debate - ALL OPINIONS, not just yours.
An opinion other than yours is not an attack, it is an opinion. If this ring is a solitary example with not even pics of others, that in itself would be suspect to me but rings ain't my thing so I digress - I have no opinion if it is legit or not.
Gaspares opinion carries weight, on the other hand he like everyone else is not infallible.

If you can't stand any heat and only want or will accept confirmations of your opinion, then don't post on the www would be my recommendation, go to shows for opinions. You still may get thumbs down but not likely to get so heated up in person [hopefully, anyhow].

Doug
ado Offline
Again, i did NOT post this ring here.

And the ring case is not being discussed here but the ring.

As much as you all have your opinions does that mean i have less right to mine just because i don't agree?

I have a lot to learn? I have posted legit request and any additional opinions are irrelevant only photos of same pattern fake or original can prove or disprove our all opinions.

So again i ask, will or can someone please add any photos of this same ring pattern be it Fake or Original ?

Thank you
Ado

ado Offline
And i have already proved here that my ring is NOT the same (and pointed the differences) like same pattern ring that was posted here in early posts and called fake as well (only one i might add). And I welcome others to post other photos of the same ring pattern and let's compare again.

I believe in these two photos we can clearly see the differences between the Original and a Fake. Just from these two front photo shots and if we had different photo angles of this bottom ring we would see much more differences in detail design and probably hallmarks between these two rings as well.

IMG_5201.PNG (133.86 KB, 365 downloads)
Last edited by ado; 04/30/2017 05:33 PM.
Just to add to Doug's comment. After following this thread I would never buy a ring. and I don't mean just this ring. period. That is what this thread does. it de legitimizes the rings.

G
G
Jim,,I know the feeling,,I wouldn't touch a dagger with a 10 ft pole! Badges/medals,,I've seen silver wound badges /GABs back in early 2000s reproduced in Warsaw [by the countries official medal/badge maker for their armed forces] that no one could tell they were fake..

Really,,most rings with a little experience you can see they are period. Have a look at the WestWall topic, or the Skull , and Patriotic ring topics. Many fine authentic examples..

Every once in a while we come across a problem like this ring. Sure,,it does display some characteristics of being a cast piece.. The real enigma is,,that hallmark. That is a stamped in, proper time period, clear hallmark! THAT is the interesting [worrisome?] part to me!!
Years ago I had a small photo of what I though was an authentic ring of this pattern. I really got to go thru a lot of old stuff to find it but I'll give it a try,,of course if I find I'll post..
Meanwhile,,anyone have what they consider a period example of this pattern??

Again, i did NOT post this ring here.

And the ring case is not being discussed here but the ring.

As much as you all have your opinions does that mean i have less right to mine just because i don't agree?

I have a lot to learn? I have posted legit request and any additional opinions are irrelevant only photos of same pattern fake or original can prove or disprove our all opinions.

So again i ask, will or can someone please add any photos of this same ring pattern be it Fake or Original ?

Thank you
Ado

* You did not post the ring but posted the next post, tentatively asking what people thought about it. Gaspare said he liked its chances and you spiked the football, said you own it and did a victory dance.
Are you saying you wouldn't have posted asking about it if it were up to you ? I highly doubt it, the thread would have followed the same trajectory if you were the OP or not.

* You posted the case, leaving it up for discussion - Else you could have posted it sitting on your desk and not on the case.
Items with cases tend to lend authority and value to the item, they are more than a minor accessory. Of course there are cases of legit item/case, bad item/case, good case bad item, bad case good item - Probably best not to post together unless you are pretty sure it is legit because in peoples minds, just as a good case can lend authority, a bad one can take away.

* You of course have the perfect right to say and think what you want, so long as they are within forum rules. [I myself have no special authority here BTW]
You'll forgive me but you are coming across as whiny and combative in many of your posts, and as refusing to consider any other possibility that your ebay find is a jackpot rare ring.
Not the 1st time this scenario had occurred at a collecting forum - You obviously have a vested financial interest here, no one else does. So its not abnormal for people to get touchy, but can get embarrassing for others to watch after a while.
I might add that in any collectibles market where there is a proliferation of known fakes and fantasy items, it is actually on the owner/seller to prove it is legit, not on anyone else to prove it is fake.

I think you have said in this thread that you have people messaging you saying [words to effect] that they love it and would love to own it - Perhaps they could post in open forum and state why they think it is legit ,,, And just having a good gut feeling doesn't count for much, if such it is.

Doug
ado Offline
First, I don't like football i prefer soccer. Thank you

After this I will not respond to comments referring to me as we are judging a ring and not judging my character as they can only lead to me getting banned from here which in eyes of some members looks like they would like that to happen at this point because apparently i dare to challenge their knowledge.

I have asked (as well as Gaspare) for photos of this same ring pattern and that is all.
As opinions will only takes us away from what we are trying to accomplish here.

And the reason why other members send me private messages instead of posting in public (which i will not named) probably means that they don't what to create any waves in the calm seas, maybe their boat is too small!

Thank you and try to enjoy your weekend
Ado

Gaspere, I remember standing in that medals shop in old town Warsaw. After seeing the long line of vendors lined up to buy medals I swore off medals. Amazing craftsmanship. And unfortunately the dagger market is full of every trick imaginable. So I will not argue with you.

I'm not judging or smearing your character.
You pointed out that you didn't start the thread, which is indeed true. I pointed out than you jumped into it with glee following Garpares semi thumbs up, and I don't blame you for that.
He is knowledgeable on rings and a good trusted guy, and he may be right. I hope more info pops up, not good form to advise other forums but you have likely run the gamut of expertise here by now - And if it comes down to back & fourth repetitive comments by the same people, no purpose served in that.

Last edited by Skynyrd; 05/01/2017 01:36 AM.

Doug
That bird was a mark from Wien Austria I believe.

Buying rings, Odal and runic brooches and jewelry and Greifen kunst brooches.
Topic starting ring is for selling here:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Seltener-Totenkopfring-Kantinenring-800er-Silber-original-WK2-/122451177317?hash=item1c82a8af65:g:3H4AAOSw3ZRY9Q71

ado Offline
You are not correct , that is the same ring and if you looked through the sellers items for sale it is not in there. Like i said it is same ring not different ring of the same pattern...and i know for sure that i am not selling mine! (two photos side by side from italian site and thread ring, they are one and the same!)

About a month ago Gaspare and myself have asked for someone who has this pattern ring in their collection to post on here which i see no one is able to do and any other additional comments on this ring at this point are unnecessary.

IMG_5707.PNG (108.25 KB, 295 downloads)
IMG_5708.PNG (113.79 KB, 296 downloads)
Last edited by ado; 06/01/2017 09:09 PM.
ado Offline
I was wondering how long will it take before we start to see this skull ring example pop up on different auction sites, well it didn't take too long! (as it was not one of the more common fake ones we usually see out there) actually i never seen fake one like this on any auction site until now.
Still very bad looking but my point is that fakers are monitoring closely these forums for their inspirations.

IMG_7013.PNG (70.47 KB, 248 downloads)
IMG_7014.PNG (54.05 KB, 247 downloads)
IMG_7015.PNG (46.5 KB, 244 downloads)
I was wondering how long will it take before we start to see this skull ring example pop up on different auction sites, well it didn't take too long! (as it was not one of the more common fake ones we usually see out there) actually i never seen fake one like this on any auction site until now.
Still very bad looking but my point is that fakers are monitoring closely these forums for their inspirations.

Fakes of this rare pattern are still around for long years in different qualities. This is only a new one in a row and easy to spot. Thanks for showing here.

ado Offline
Just from my own experience and In my 8 years of ring collecting and daily searching different dealer and auction sites this is the first time that i am seeing this ring pattern showing up on a major auction site among other fake ring examples that we constantly are seeing out there.

P
P
Hello, its the same ring, unfortunaty broken..

20140423_151435.jpeg (156.18 KB, 222 downloads)
20140423_151500.jpeg (137.11 KB, 221 downloads)
G
G
A nice ring.. But I believe its postwar. Old, just not WWII old.. Probably 50s, 60s.

I've seen what I would call an authentic example of this recently. The one I saw was definitely pressed. It was at a fancy antique store in NYC. The owner said its a late 1800s Memento mori ring!!! I was discussing it with him and told him I thought it was 1920s, 1930s.. He said 'Whats the difference,,its what ever I want it to be,,am I buying it!'
He wanted a small fortune for the ring. Next time I'm in the city I'll take some photos of it...

These are good pattern rings. Just one of the harder patterns to find. But thats starting to happen to all authentic rings!

An advert from a prewar catalog. It's not exactly the same,,but close...

RLB_Schmuck_0002 - Copy (3).jpg (109.69 KB, 214 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 03/13/2018 01:07 AM.
ado Offline
Ground recovered exemple just sold on WAF estand for around $350
Such a long time has past since the original was shown again on the market for sale of this Austrian marked skull ring example.

M
OP Offline
M
Yep that is a rare bird Ado. Thanks to you I learned so much more about it. I will be very happy to be adding this guy to my collection.

M
M
hi student 1
did you buy this skull ring off whermacht last week is this the same one pictured here that sold for 350.00 please let me know thanks the red baron

M
OP Offline
M
Yes but I do not have it yet.

G
G
what does the price matter.. Man,,IF I can find something I really need I go for it!! I'm happy to get 2 or 3 pieces a year!!

Austrian! Don't remember seeing the mark.. Any of you guys have a shot of the hallmark??

Relic looking as it came from the ground.. You could clean it better.. Some guys have great luck cleaning them. They use efferdent all kinds of remedies! Some work ,,and some don't...
I do a strong brushing sometimes IF I think the ring can take it.. You can clean it,,or just leave as be.......

From inside it looks like a good stamped ring. Has a nice thin band..Outside, a bit hard to see.. Lot of little 'lines' on this. Man IF you can't find a casting dot on any of them you've got a good one! grin

- from just these photos it looks more good than bad. When you get it in hand you should be able to 1st see if you should clean,,and 2nd inspect it for problems.... Please let us know and maybe some new shots.. The hallmark too!,,or if anyone has it now kit'd be great to see..

Last edited by Gaspare; 09/02/2018 10:37 PM.
ado Offline
Here is how a really good fake skull ring of this design looks.
Now you can clearly see the difference between a fake and original that started this thread back in 2017!

Last edited by ado; 03/01/2019 01:24 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Stephen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,539 SS Bayonets
1,760,306 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,777 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Simone - 03/28/2024 08:57 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,708
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (Tanker, The_Collector, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Documentalist, OWN, C. Wetzel-20609, benten, Simone, Mikee, Jonesy, Dave, Vern, Honestmike), 346 guests, and 104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod