Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#323898 11/30/2016 10:28 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Good evening to all
I have the opportunity to buy this SS fuhrer degen and i would like to have your hindsight …
It looks like a mid period model … no maker … The washer is black … it doesn’t look like a PMD model … It doesn’t look “textbook” but it still looks good ….
A couple of things puzzle me though , the pommel nut unscrews directly from the blade and doesn’t look like most of models I’ve seen …. I’ve read this is encountered mainly on late dachau models …
The other thing is the SS kulturzeichen here looks different … I have seen a look alike type in a Siegert Book with a photo of a chained 36 SS dagger … but it is not common …

I know the guy selling, he is trustworthy but that is quite a budget so i'm a bit anxious

Does this degen looks fine to you ?

Many thanks in advance

Briac

[img:center][/img]

M
M
hi briac
wellcome to our forum this sword you show in my opinion has been altered from a ss police marked sword to a ss officers sword the ss disk in the handle is stainless steel and yes i know about the dacau swords but i dont think this is one its not easy to spot in your picture showing the handle but i believe i see a slight piece of where the police eagle was compared to the rounded ss disk usually dont hide that fact also in my opinion i believe your friend is true blue but where did he purchase this sword from hope all agrees with my opinion god bless andy militarynut

K
OP Offline
K
Hello Andy

Thank you, i'm glad to be here smile

Actually i dreaded that type of answer ...

i'll get closeups ..just to be sure ..

Briac

M
M
hi briac
yes i dread saying any opinion with bad news but the people who know me knows i speak whats on my mind dont matter to me how hot it is in the kitchen i will give you my honest opinion you might not like itsorry . more pictures of the handle and the disk might show some more clues and perhaps outher members here can give thier opinions if i am wrong i will say i am sorry and move on have a nice day andy militarynut

K
OP Offline
K
Hi Andy

that's fine ! your honest opinion is what i expected smile

Hopefully i'll get closeups today

B.

B
B
I don't believe that is a Dachau type runes button.

The runes disc is not a Dachau type. The sword appears authentic in all respects in the photos shown. However, the attachment of the pommel to the tang is problematic. Although Dachau examples do attach that way, the earlier configuration on these swords do not. This is not a Dachau degen, nor are any of its components. This type is in a shady area. No one knows for certain whether swords of this configuration are authentic. If so, they are rare and it takes no more than a grip swap to go from police sword to SS sword. I think these will always be questionable at best. I've long speculated period police officers who were SS members might have converted their police swords, although such would not have been officially authorized. But, there is no proof that occurred. The sword here would make a nice displace piece, if desired, but I wouldn't count on it ever being accepted as authentic by most collectors. The price should be little more than a police example in like condition.,

S
S
Hello from the images I agree with Andy converted police sword cheers, Ryan

K
OP Offline
K
Good afternoon gentlemen

Thank you for the info ... here are a photo of the tang with the pommel button removed :

That looks like a polizei degen, that is right ...

You mean it should be looking like this ? :

This is a tricky thing ... if you follow this link you will arrive on a french forum that discuss and early krebs sword that has this direct tang attachment :

http://german-militaria.forumactif.org/t1102-epee-officier-ss-krebs

I still would like to believe it is real ... as far as the price is concerned, it is not likely he will go down since he requires 4K Euros ... I should get these closeups shortly ...

Many thanks

Briac

Last edited by HERR ZEDEM; 12/03/2016 01:49 PM.
B
B
I don't understand why one would think this is a converted police sword. The inset of the runes button looks fine to me. It would be nice to have a close-up it though. Another thing is how can one tell the runes button is stainless from the photo?

K
OP Offline
K
here are other pictures i could get

That's all i have for now

It doesn't look textbook but i do think it looks good though ... argh !

Briac

Last edited by HERR ZEDEM; 12/05/2016 05:24 PM.
B
B
Thanks Briac, I don't see a problem with it. It is obvious from the close-up that you have posted that the grip has not been converted from a police degen.

M
M
hi bama
in my honest opinion this is a humped up police sword not a ss officers sword there is nothing wrong with this sword yes it is a ss marked police officers sword and not a ss officers sword and you ask how can any one tell that the metal disk in the handle is stainless steel compared to nickled silver well here is the answer you have been waiting for i happen to be a junk mans son and i know metals and again in my humble opinion i can tell by the picture that the so called ss disk in this handle is stainless steel and it is not worth the big money this outher person is asking hope you can understand my point of view and my honest opinion please note i have no dog in this fight just trying to save bric his hard earned money have a great day andy militarynut

K
OP Offline
K
Hi Guys

Thanks Bama, Andy and all for your answers ... there are too much doubts on that one ... i'll let it go ... I can't afford such a mistake !!!

Many thanks to you all for your precious hindsight again !

have a nice evening

Briac

Last edited by HERR ZEDEM; 12/05/2016 07:16 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,613 SS Bayonets
1,760,338 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,792 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Gerrit1963 - 03/29/2024 08:21 AM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Simone - 03/29/2024 07:02 AM
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,711
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
12 members (Gerrit1963, Stephen, Documentalist, Ilya, Ringo69, AntonGrabbe, atis, Sasha, Simone, BretVanSant, The_Collector, benten), 597 guests, and 134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod