Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#322364 10/16/2016 07:47 PM
B
Bigroby Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I am new to the forum and have what I believe to be an original Army Dagger. Obviously, this forum is the source for information on German daggers. I have reviewed a lot on the internet as to what is original and what was reproduced. In viewing pictures of scabbards, mine has one screw located in the center near the top, not on the sides as I see depicted in so many pictures. Were there variations as to where the screw(s) were placed?
Thanks

Bigroby

There were indeed variations as to the placement of the scabbard screws in army daggers, the placement of yours would certainly fall into an area that is OK.

Gary

B
Bigroby Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Gary. When I learn how to post pictures, I will add my dagger pictures to the forum.

Bigroby, first let me welcome you to the forum.
As Baz69 has already written, there have been variations of the placement of the scabbard screw(s). Also the form of the screwhead varies. There are period scabbards with two side screws, one middle screw, one side screw, without any screw and screws with domehead, flat head and no head well known.
When you left-click at my nickname above the avatar (in the left section of my post) you get "view profile" where you can see my e-mail adress. When you send me the pics I can publish them here for you.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
B
Bigroby Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the welcome. Sorry, I am not too computer literate but when I click, I get a PM but not sure how to post a picture on it. When I click on view profile, it will not allow me access. Hate to be a pain but I am sure we can work this out. I have taken 4 pictures with an Ipad, the next challenge is to get them posted.

Here are the pics from Bigroby.
Although they are very small we can see that it is a nicely patinated, obviously original EICKHORN army dagger with some early features.
I have asked for larger pics.
Regards,

IMG_1279.JPG (32.76 KB, 144 downloads)
IMG_1345.JPG (34.4 KB, 144 downloads)
IMG_1346.JPG (36.4 KB, 144 downloads)
IMG_1347.JPG (35.73 KB, 144 downloads)

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
Indeed a nice early/mid period army dagger. This one sure looks like it has nice patina fittings.

Gary

B
Bigroby Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for posting. Those pictures were taken with an Ipad. I have sent more from my cell phone as large. We will see how they come out. It is great to know that this is an original dagger. Any idea of its value?

Here are now larger pics from Bigroby.
Value is something personal. Do a look at the big dealers sites in the net and detract about 20-30% and you have an idea of itīs current worth.
Although the dagger is in a throughout nice and collectible condition the crack in the grip, the not too clean blade and the dents in the scabbard might cause additional discounts.
The dagger has the socalled 39-41 trademark of the EICKHORN firm at Solingen, but the crossguard eagle and the kind of grip variation is commonly attributed to the earlier period (such parts have been used also in later periods).
Regards,

1.JPG (72.85 KB, 121 downloads)
2.JPG (87.86 KB, 122 downloads)
3.JPG (79.59 KB, 121 downloads)

wotan, gd.c-b#105

Concerning the blade I do recommend a treatment with "Renaissance Wax" (imho itīs the best way) or at least a minute layer of gun oil. Without(!) disasssambling the dagger.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

Due to the larger pics I did a closer look at the dagger. Against the overall very consistent patination I am not sure about at least the pommel (also the ferrule), for me it does look like an ALCOSO pommel with itīs pointed leaves.
I hope the army dagger aficionados jump in and tell us their opinion about this certain dagger.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

B
Bigroby Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the feedback and adding the pictures. I too am curious now that you mention the differences. It will be interesting to see what other members say. Yes, I will clean the blade.

I agree with Wotan a later type Alcoso pommel. The rear center screw is a correct period configuration for an Eickhorn Heer scabbard but I do not see a picture of the screw they did use a larger type screw.

Originally Posted By: wotan
Due to the larger pics I did a closer look at the dagger. Against the overall very consistent patination I am not sure about at least the pommel (also the ferrule), for me it does look like an ALCOSO pommel with itīs pointed leaves.
I hope the army dagger aficionados jump in and tell us their opinion about this certain dagger.
Regards,

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
Agree with Wotan and WW2-Collector.. Pommel is not an Eickhorn product (Alcoso) and the ferrel could be an earlier Eickhorn type as this appears to be the type 2 guard? (bit hard to see details in these pics of guard eagle} scabbard is the mid to late type Eick. Lets see that scabbard screw and a good guard close up! Best, Kevin.

It's ALL in the DETAILS!!.......
Here are additional pics from Bigroby:

1.JPG (53.39 KB, 105 downloads)
2.JPG (42.2 KB, 105 downloads)
3.JPG (86.7 KB, 107 downloads)
4.JPG (60.32 KB, 106 downloads)

wotan, gd.c-b#105

That is a Typical Eickhorn scabbard/screw and Type-2 Eickhorn crossguard. Pommel is an Alcoso product.

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
Thanks for the additional pics.. as Tom says, correct Eickhorn scabbard.. but that Ferrell is overhanging the guard like a mid period Alcoso Ferrell/guard does! Still hard to see fine detail in the blurry guard pic.. if there are crossed ribbons between the eagles feet on the guard wreath that is a type three Alcoso guard! Best, Kevin.

It's ALL in the DETAILS!!.......
B
Bigroby Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for examining my dagger. Sorry for the blurry pictures, those taken by the Ipad were too small and these were taken with an Iphone as I could send them large. Am I to believe this is more of a composite dagger made of different components instead of the real thing?

Bigroby, generally it is to say, that EICKHORN has been a very prolific producer who "normally" did produce all parts in house. But we do know also very well that sometimes, when they ran out of certain parts, especially against the end of the dagger production, they have bought/used parts of other firms, mainly WKC, HÖRSTER or socalled "generic" parts.
ALCOSO is not known as a firm with which EICKHORN did have a close cooperation.
Concerning your dagger: A comparatively middle/late ALCOSO pommel on a more early EICKHORN dagger is not something we would expect to see. Due to the even look, the perfect fit and the even patination it does look to me that these parts are together for a very long period. We will never know for sure when the pommel has been attached. Some collectors would say "it is not textbook" (I personally do hate this expression). I for myself do like the mentioned even, patinated look. The fact that it is out of the normaal region of EICKHORN armies (even out of those with better known spare parts like the above mentioned, eg. generic) in case of reselling it is not as easy to sell than a pure EICKHORN.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

B
Bigroby Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the very thorough examination of my dagger. Would it be worthwhile to try to find an Eickhorn pommel? If one is even available?

Originally Posted By: Bigroby
Thanks for the very thorough examination of my dagger. Would it be worthwhile to try to find an Eickhorn pommel? If one is even available?

Hello Bigroby, I personally would not change anything on this dagger (or any other edged weapon). If you are happyy with it hold it. If you are unhappy with it sell it. And if you necessarily want an army dagger buy as others like to say a "textbook" one from a trusted source.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,508 SS Bayonets
1,760,287 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,765 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,704
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
16 members (Documentalist, Landser, AndyRose, Duzig, atis, Jonesy, Nietzsche, Dave, OWN, Mikee, Stephen, benten, Don Scowen, polop, Browning1900, Tanker), 582 guests, and 97 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod