Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Would like to hear your opinions on this one:

ss2.jpg (138.18 KB, 287 downloads)

�Eine gewaltt�tige, herrische, unerschrockene, grausame Jugend will ich. Jugend muss das alles sein. Schmerzen muss sie ertragen. Es darf nichts Schwaches und Z�rtliches an ihr sein. Das freie, herrliche Raubtier muss wieder
aus ihren Augen blitzen."
odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Here a Germania international ring of this pattern:

ssahnenerbering01a-vert.jpg (152.72 KB, 275 downloads)

�Eine gewaltt�tige, herrische, unerschrockene, grausame Jugend will ich. Jugend muss das alles sein. Schmerzen muss sie ertragen. Es darf nichts Schwaches und Z�rtliches an ihr sein. Das freie, herrliche Raubtier muss wieder
odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Maybe original from russian collection

russian collection.jpg (80.9 KB, 275 downloads)

odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Fake from a russian forum

cats.jpg (145.27 KB, 271 downloads)

M
M
Agree with odal... Weird runes too.

odal Offline OP
OP Offline
and a period advert

IMG - Kopie.jpg (90.83 KB, 275 downloads)

odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Now my questions:

Has one of all these rings a chance to be a period one?
If yes, which one?
Has anybody pics of a for sure period one to compareing?

First ring in this thread.....the circle of the plate has a Diameter from about 9 mm
Runes about 6 mm high.
Enamel is the typical real black glas enamel.
And....area between plate and shoulders is on the first ring different to the other rings.

Last edited by odal; 05/17/2016 06:49 PM.

G
G
yes,,,for sure a good wartime pattern....I have photos of a good one with provenance but not allowed to show it. I will ask. The correct shape is rounded like a ball,, like the pinkish background/blueish/green[GI] background.

100% the photo with the bluish/green[GI] background is a copy. And pretty sure 1st ring shown is a old copy...

That's the problem this ring has been copied for years [I remember a copy I saw in hand 1980!]

Last edited by Gaspare; 05/17/2016 06:57 PM.
odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks G.!

This first one has a nearly flat plate.

G
G
I've seen that flat one years ago. I was told it was a 'Latvian' fake. But that means nothing.. Do you have that ring now?

Here is what I call a 'good one'. Has the right glass black enamel. Rounded shape, in silver.

The GI copies were beautiful.!

DSCN3662.JPG (59.31 KB, 255 downloads)
odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the pic G.!
Thats a one looker!
And for sure different.

Yes, i have this first ring for inspection in hands.
Comes from a house clearing here in my city, but that will mean nothing too.

Thanks for help friend!

G
G
-

Questions -
Does yours seem to be a smaller scale/size?
Does the enamel check out?
Is there a sizing/joining seam?
Inside band finished off nice? is that paint in there or tarnish?

odal Offline OP
OP Offline
It has a diamter from about 19,5 mm.
Enamel is real glas enamel with some little damages...very hard to take pics.
Well made hard visible seam.
Inner band rather smooth polished and yes, inside there is tarnish.
The outside was a little cleaned up.

M
M
hi guys
just my two cents here i all ways liked this style of ss ring double runes in black glass couple questions number one did they have two silver content marks or just 835 marked second i would like to ask odel why russian ring is fake is there something i missed please explain im eager to learn . i really like what i see in the russian ring although if i had the ring in hand i would give a more acurate opinion some times pictures dont tell the whole story last germania internationals has been selling copies of ss rings for years so nothing new there hope to hear more thanks have a nice day andy militarynut

I saw on WA ring like it , but insade saw egraving date 1932
And ring was made not from silver
And I think it rings start made before WW2

Last edited by Evgeniy; 05/18/2016 12:48 PM.
odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks friends!

Andy....make the pics a little large for looking and you will see this ring from post number 4 has clear visible casting lines on both shoulders and the hallmark looks cast too to me.
The number one ring has only this one "835" hallmark on backsite of the plate.

Evgeniy....much thanks for the hint!
Maybe a link possible?

2 Odal
It was long time ago
But here shots
By the way , what does it mean symbols ?

IMG_1706_resize.JPG (137.87 KB, 198 downloads)
IMG_1710_resize.JPG (44.04 KB, 195 downloads)
and one my mistake : it silver, but with cover
stamp 800

And one more ring , it was dugging in the Russian fields
and was burning

IMG_1722_resize.JPG (97.52 KB, 190 downloads)
____________1440.jpg (50.61 KB, 189 downloads)
Last edited by Evgeniy; 05/18/2016 06:21 PM.
odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks friend!

Second is a different period existing pattern.

The first you show is again the pattern with different shoulders, but also an rather flat plate.
Thanks.
"D. Willy"
"9.6.1932"
and ges. gesch. (protected by law)
I would say tranlation of the engraving:
"in faith"
"your Willy (Name)"
and date.

Mmmhhh
I get more and more confused with this ring pattern grin

What shall I do .....similar to Hamlet " Buy or not?" laugh

IMG_1710_resize.JPG (70.54 KB, 185 downloads)

G
G
Odal,,,how about some more photos.. Do you see anything in hand that worries you? get a photo of that too...

odal Offline OP
OP Offline

Mmmh....
My thoughts to this ring.

The owner in moment/seller is a honest guy. I know him for a lot of years and was never burned. So fact is for me the ring comes from a private household without any story and we have only the item itself to rate.

While holding it first time in hands my personal feeling was very good.
A professional made ring, for sure not new made with a lot of natural tarnish inside and out. Outside i did some cleaning for better spotting the deeper sections.
The facts of the ring.
Silver (I have tested it). One very clear punched in hallmark "835".
Diameter about 19,5 mm. Plate diameter about 9 mm, height of the runes about 6 mm.
So you can imagine how filigree is the decor around the plate and it is rather deep, very three-dimensional, much more than on these here shown very close rings.
The enamel is without doubt the typical real glas enamel with only some very small damages.
Seam is there, perfect made and nearly not visible.
The ring has only a little wearing, but it is outside covered all over with a lot of minimal little "scars"/damages, but to 100 % sure no pittings from gas porosity. Inside there are only a few of them and the polishing of the inside is very smooth.

From the manufacturing method i would say this ring is most probable a very very professional made casting. But for sure not cast in a mold or in lost wax method. More in this in old times made sand casting.
For me it is fact this was done in some ring patterns too and so no reason for this ring to be not period.
Otherwise i am not to 100% sure whether it is cast. There are only 3 or four minimal dots, maybe pearls, in the deeper sections of shoulders.
I will try to show them in pics.

P
P
go for it, you have a good eye, but my advice would be not to clean it to much.

odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok....here some larger pics.
Please...any opinion is welcome

1.JPG (134.63 KB, 201 downloads)
2.JPG (126.45 KB, 200 downloads)
3.JPG (126.06 KB, 200 downloads)

odal Offline OP
OP Offline
and

4.JPG (128.45 KB, 197 downloads)
5.JPG (91.38 KB, 197 downloads)
06_IMG_1853.JPG (123.64 KB, 197 downloads)

odal Offline OP
OP Offline
the red circled dot is about 0,2 mm

G
G
- here are a few more inside the cartouche.. There might have been others that got cleaned away during detailing...

This ring is old,,and had a tough life. And very temping.. But the devil is in the details some say..

There have been fakes with these runes made before... Disappointing but,, maybe best to leave this be..

ZZZZZZZZZZIMG_1954.JPG (116.28 KB, 261 downloads)
Originally Posted By: odal

But for sure not cast in a mold or in lost wax method. More in this in old times made sand casting.

Do not know what makes you think like that, but former air bubble that now looks like ball (circled on pic) can be born ONLY in lost wax method when investment is vacuumed (not enough in our case).

There are less original rings than you think, much less...

www.totenkopfrings.com
odal Offline OP
OP Offline
grin grin grin

at least we had learn a little bit more

M
M
Originally Posted By: odal
grin grin grin

at least we had learn a little bit more

I love the education I'm getting here!

this pattern I always like but most are fakes, as you all already know. Too bad. Germania Intl was a nice looking copy too. The one Gaspare showed is really nice - prob original I would guess. Any update Odal as you the one you were to buy?

Buying rings, Odal and runic brooches and jewelry and Greifen kunst brooches.
M
M
The detail on the one I just bought lore is totally different than this one here the cartouche is rounded at the enamel is fired on not plastic or any other substance
I too would like to know if odal bought that other ring

Mike, I'd like to see your ring! must have missed it in the thread

Buying rings, Odal and runic brooches and jewelry and Greifen kunst brooches.
M
M
No problem lore

609FE1BC-6E60-4494-BA1F-F5EC33705D56.jpeg (116.93 KB, 157 downloads)
M
M
More

DBCEF443-A4D1-4589-9517-0851B85EF331.jpeg (166.52 KB, 156 downloads)
odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti)
The detail on the one I just bought lore is totally different than this one here the cartouche is rounded at the enamel is fired on not plastic or any other substance
I too would like to know if odal bought that other ring

Yes Mike, i know this ring is different in detailing but very similar.

And yes again friends.
I baught this ring that time for real not much money and still have it in my box for "unsure" rings. Looks in hands much better than on the pics and is until now the only ring of exact this pattern i have seen.
Maybe the future brings more about.

odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Now we have a nearly perfect copy of this topic starting ring.
Good work and for sure a cool wearer for some guys for a fair price:

http://germanring.lv/de/ss-rings/40-ww-ii-german-ss-silver-ring.html

cats.jpg (172.69 KB, 121 downloads)

Very nice Odeal, well made, great looking design...looks like the real deal. Would not have any problems selling this one.

Natural Born American Citizen
American Patriot
U.S. Army Vet. 1969-'71 Spc.5 Field Artillery Crewman
Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!
odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: johnnyrocket
Very nice Odeal, well made, great looking design...looks like the real deal. Would not have any problems selling this one.

laugh
Oh, maybe a missunderstanding.
I have nothing to to with this copy. Found it only while searching the web.

M
M
Other than the one Gaspare had at one time the ring we found at max is a supremely rare original. That being said the germania international fake is a pretty good replica of it - with some significant differences... also has nothing whatsoever to do with the ahnenherebe. Just an attractive and rare pattern and design I am very happy to finally own!

G
G
thats a dangerous copy Odal! I urge all members to have a look at the patterns for sale on the link.. They have fantasy but many good known patterns.
Years ago I'd buy a ring just to do some testing on..Years ago I bought a fake to test. It was stamped 835 but in fact was sterling [.925] and the enamel failed.. Silver is high lately so maybe they are taking the time to 'cut' the silver and lower the quality or maybe its easy to buy 800 and 835 bullion overseas..
Anyway,,be careful guys.
I'd love to test the 'enamel' on these rings!

Happy hunting guys in 2018!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Stephen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,264,090 SS Bayonets
1,762,264 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,224 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
NSKK Dolch fur Führer, Eickhorn
by sellick8302@rogers.com - 04/20/2024 06:37 AM
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 04/20/2024 03:14 AM
Imperial Graphic Arts ...
by Dean Perdue - 04/20/2024 02:44 AM
Frog question.
by Vern - 04/20/2024 12:27 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,045
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (Documentalist, jean, Don Scowen, ollar, benten, sellick8302@rogers.com), 807 guests, and 153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod